The Denver Office of the Medical Examiner is seeking a dedicated Forensics Autopsy Technician to join the forensic team.
This is full performance work in a medical examiner facility assisting with forensic autopsies for cause and manner of death.
- Sets up forensic autopsy clinic and assists with autopsy by positioning and fingerprinting patients, opening and closing bodies, removing organs, tissues and fluids, drawing and spinning blood samples (DNA) and assisting with taking cultures.
- Collects and preserves forensic evidence (tissue, slides, radiographs, on-scene evidence) for use in determining cause and manner of death, and maintains records of examinations and evidence collected (chain-of-custody).
- Explains steps in the autopsy process to employees, law enforcement, interns and other interested parties.
- Assists in providing training to a wide range of students, including medical students, interns and residents, in autopsy techniques and procedures.
- Inventories effects of decedents and related evidence for release to authorized parties.
- Maintains established departmental policies and procedures, quality improvement, safety, environmental and infection control standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from high school or possession of a GED Certificate
- Successful completion of one year of study with at least 6 semester hours in courses such as biology, human anatomy, physiology, zoology or criminal justice, that included laboratory work.
- Previous autopsy experience preferred.
- A minimum of 45 semester hours in courses such as mortuary sciences, biology, human anatomy, physiology, zoology, criminal justice, or a directly related field.
- Two years of experience as an autopsy assistant, surgical assistant, radiology technician or laboratory assistant that included developing a knowledge of human anatomy, skill in identifying or using surgical instruments and knowledge of aseptic techniques will substitute for the 6 semester hours of required education.
The City and County of Denver values leadership that influences the commitment, ability and willingness of employees to provide quality service to the citizens of Denver.
Classification Title : Forensic Autopsy Technician [CH1654]
Pay Grade : 616-H
Agency : Department of Environmental Health
To Apply : please select the apply button at the top of this posting / visit: www.denvergov.org/jobs
Background Check / Drug Testing : Candidates must pass a criminal background check, 10 year employment verification and education verification. Additional checks such as credit and drug testing may be required.
Probationary Period : The successful candidate will be required to complete a minimum six month probationary period (benefits will be active during this time) prior to attaining Career Status with the City. As part of probation, employees complete a series of internal training classes which may include supervisory training based on the specific role.
Recruiter : LM
Relocation assistance is not available.
The City and County of Denver - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard