Job Title: Associate, Foundation Relations
Reports to: Director Foundation Relations
Location: Boston, MA
Partners In Health (PIH) is a nonprofit organization headquartered in Boston, MA, whose mission is to provide quality health care for the poor and marginalized in Haiti, Rwanda, Lesotho, Malawi, Peru, Mexico, Russia, Dominican Republic, and Navajo Nation. In addition, PIH has a growing network of affiliated organizations and initiatives in several other countries, including Nepal, Burundi, Mali, Liberia, and Togo. Through service delivery, training, advocacy and research, PIH works around the globe to bring the benefits of modern medical science to those most in need of it, to serve as an antidote to despair, and inspire others to do the same.
This is an exciting time for PIH. We are taking on immense challenges, and a newfound visibility has brought the opportunity to influence great change on the global stage. PIH seeks individuals committed to the mission and values of the organization to join the team.
The Associate serves as an integral member of the Foundation Relations team. With guidance from the director and associate director, conduct research for designated PIH project areas to identify new prospects. With a pool of agreed upon prospects and current donors, make initial contacts, write inquiry letters and proposals, and conduct regular stewardship activities including report writing. 50% of the associate’s time will be dedicated to fundraising for the Community Outreach and Patient Empowerment (COPE) project . This is a 12-month position.
- Prospect Research (15%): For COPE and other designated projects, conduct research to identify potential new funding prospects.
- Foundation Cultivation (10%): Make initial contact with foundation prospects, maintain knowledge of program priorities in order to develop compelling requests, and organize meetings with foundation representatives as needed to secure an invitation for a proposal.
- Foundation Gift Solicitation (40%): Work with the programs teams to evaluate foundation inquiry letter and proposal opportunities; write, edit, and copyedit inquiry letters, concept papers, and proposals for both new and existing foundation donors. Guide programs to successfully develop program plans to match donor requirements. Coordinate with programs and finance to develop proposal budgets.
- Foundation Stewardship (25%): Manage a portfolio of donors. Develop and manage relationships with external contacts (donors). Implement best stewardship practices including responsive communication, proactive quarterly communication, reporting, and donor meetings. As needed, engage project leaders and foundation director or associate director in donor interactions. Maintain up-to-date knowledge of programs by actively soliciting field updates, visiting field sites, and attending relevant information sessions. Ensure good stewardship of foundation gifts by hosting grant launches, monitoring grant-funded projects, and proactively communicating changes to the donor.
- Administration and Other (10%): This includes representing COPE to others in the development department and helping to support coordination between COPE and other areas in development.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 3-5 years of related work experience
- Excellent writing, research, and communication skills; ability to conceptualize and articulate funding needs persuasively to potential funders.
- Ability to manage projects from creation to completion, prioritize and work on multiple tasks, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work as part of a team and collaborate effectively with staff across departments.
- Strong command of the Microsoft Office Suite; experience with Raisers’ Edge a plus
- Excellent interpersonal skills required. Ability to interact professionally with culturally diverse staff and donors. Ability to manage confidential information.
Partners in Health - 30+ days ago