The Freight Broker position is a traditional freight brokerage role where in depth knowledge of the freight business including all freight modes (Truckload (TL), Less than Truckload (LTL), Rail, Intermodal, etc.) is critical. The Freight Broker exercises independent judgment and discretion including the full brokerage cycle: negotiation of freight coverage, customer and carrier relationship management, price negotiation, and analysis of market trends. In this role, an individual will be responsible for ensuring all aspects of the Company's freight processes are operating at maximum potential, that full truckload shipments are being covered for customers and that LTL shipments are effectively managed. This role is responsible for managing and developing customer and carrier relationships, service and product planning, implementation, and delivery, and will regularly function in truckload coverage, account management (for all modes), price negotiation, troubleshooting, and dispatch capacities. By providing a superior experience for customers, the Freight Broker drives growth by managing the customer relationship to continually maximize the benefits of all freight brokerage transactions to customers and the Company.
Coverage/Account Management (all Modes)
Responsible for negotiating and making final decisions on carrier selection and load tendering for every shipment that is not covered using automated means. This is accomplished by understanding customer needs and carrier capabilities, contacting carriers for every shipment received to negotiate coverage at the appropriate profit margin within the time allotted by customer for the final pick up time of the load. This also includes setting the final pickup and delivery appointments, documentation of order comments, and communication and follow-up via the telephone to ensure carrier performance meets the customer expectations. The job also involves troubleshooting. Communicates rationale for rate quotes for shipments to meet customer business needs and carrier requirements and capabilities. Also analyzes and communicates to explain capacity issues, market conditions, current market rates, and works with Corporate Analytics to focus quote and brokerage tools. Coordinates and communicates requirements and/or outcomes to various stakeholders throughout the business including customers, users, executives, management, etc.
Customer Prospecting :
Identify and develop customer relationships by interacting with existing and potential customers to develop truckload, LTL, Rail, and Intermodal opportunities that result in commissioned sales.
Carrier Relations :
Acts as point of contact for carriers, proactively builds carrier relationships, and grows a registry of carrier companies who can provide broker truckload shipments at desirable rates for benefit of the Company, carrier, and customer. Contact existing suppliers (Partial and truckload carriers) to further develop partner relationships. Works to develop new business opportunities and solidify existing business relationships. Discuss and negotiate resolutions for any current relationship and/or process issues. Research and develop new viable business segment to grow truckload capacity to increase overall coverage opportunities for the Company.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
- Bachelor's degree in business or related field preferred; equivalent relevant experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
- Prior work experience not required with bachelor's degree. Minimum of one year of relevant work experience in sales, logistics, and brokerage will be considered in lieu of Bachelor's degree.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to qualify, close and develop new and existing business highly desirable.
- Negotiation skills.
- Strong people skills with the ability to build relationships with customers.
- Goal oriented and self-motivated to drive results.
- Strong time management skills, organizational skills, and attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with ability to demonstrate appropriate phone and email etiquette.
- Strong customer service skills, problem solving abilities and ability to multi-task.
- Strong PC skills with working knowledge of MS Office products.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment with frequent distractions while maintaining positive attitude and focus on individual performance.
As an industry leader and a pioneer in online freight, Freightquote offers the ideal combination of dedicated service and U.S. Patented,...