A Different Kind Of Adventure
At Columbia Sportswear, we know a thing or two about adventures. We’ve been on one for over 70 years, constantly working to perfect the art and enjoyment of the greater outdoors. And behind everything we make is an employee who’s found that the greatest adventure starts with joining a company that offers them much more than just a paycheck. At Columbia, we believe that there’s over 3.5 million square miles of land to explore in the U.S. alone, but you don’t have to travel very far to find a great career.
General Position Summary:
Position functions as a member of the store management team, responsible for managing the store back of house operations. Position may also provide supervision on the sales floor as assigned by the Store Manager.
As assigned by the Store Manager:
- Lead and functionally supervise a team of Stock Associates. Provide direction and guidance to associates to ensure efficient and effective operation of the stock room and product flow.
- Create a positive environment supportive of employee training and development. Create and maintain an environment of strong sales and exceptional customer service through teamwork, coaching associate and leading by example, customer service or sales as needed.
- Train Stock Associates on company standards and expectations.
- Accountability for stock room process & procedures. Maintain company standards and guidelines around product flow process and shipping & receiving procedures.
- Supervise and oversee the store shipping & receiving function. Ensure accurate receipt & delivery of product into and out of the store. Provide efficient order management from placement of order to delivery of goods.
- Exchange information with other departments as necessary to ensure timely and accurate delivery of orders. Prepare monthly department updates to Store Manager.
- Ensure necessary shipping supplies are always available by planning and ordering in advance.
- Perform regular daily store activities such as opening and closing procedures which include balancing registers, preparing cash bags, and activating security system.
- Perform good customer service by assisting customers in person or on the phone. Provide information to customers on current product features and benefits.
- Maintain current and accurate knowledge of product features, benefits, and availability. Ensure Sales staff is trained and knowledgeable on current products.
- Maintain department presentation and sales performance through upholding company and/or store direction and guidelines.
- Answer product and order inquiries inclusive of computer research, coordination with other departments such as the distribution center, customer service or retail accounting.
- Perform all required cash register procedures. Oversee and authorize cash register transactions made by sales associates and provide assistance/training with cash register transactions as needed.
- Maintain a high professional standard of individual behavior for the demonstration of respect, courtesy and professionalism to align with Columbia Sportswear expectations.
Acts as store manager in the absence of the Manager and Assistant Manager.
Maintain positive open lines of communication with all Columbia Sportswear management, staff and other departments in order to contribute to the smooth flow of information and efficient operation of the organization.
Perform other related duties as assigned.
Job has some variety in terms of customer contact and needs. The Freight Supervisor follows well-established store practices and procedures. Duties are performed with specific directions and goals and work is checked or verified visually and by results. Decisions are made within specific store policy constraints. Errors in judgment could affect the profitability of the outlet store by affecting inventory, customer satisfaction, or affect the accuracy of cash register transactions.
Contacts are made with others both inside and outside the organization. Internal contacts frequently include the Store Manager, District Manager, Store Staff, Product Merchandise team, Safety and Security, HR team and other team members as needed. External contacts frequently include customers and vendors. Interactions tend to focus on providing daily direction, providing assistance, information exchange and training. Contacts sometimes include sensitive or confidential information. Incumbent often initiates communication on his/her own through various means including phone, email, and face-to-face interaction.
Position provides functional supervisory guidance to Stock and Sales associates. Position has no direct reports.
Specific Job Skills:
Ability to conduct interpersonal interactions with other company personnel and customers, provide coaching and mentoring to staff, troubleshoot, solve problems, make decisions in partnership with Store Management or independently when appropriate, operate independently and with discretion when appropriate, and work effectively under pressure. Skills in operating personal computers, POS systems and various software packages including Microsoft Word and Excel are needed. Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of company personnel through oral and written means is required. Floor Supervisor must have effective retail math experience/aptitude/ability.
Excellent time management and problem solving abilities are required for success, as well as the ability to use good judgment and make sound decisions.
Physical requirements include the ability to use telephone, computerized systems; perform repetitive movements of the arms and shoulders, stand for extended periods of time up to 8 hours per day, move freely around store, bend, twist, reach, squat, climb a ladder and regularly lift/carry up to 40 pounds.
High school education or equivalent.
3 years previous retail operations experience with at least 1 year of retail supervisory, management or leadership experience preferred. Previous shipping, receiving and/or supply chain experience preferred. Combination of previous experience, education and relevant experience considered.
Job may require hours that often exceed 8 hours per day and/or 40 hours per week during peak periods. Available to work store schedule – Sunday to Saturday. Job pressure exists in meeting store goals and managing personal and others' time. Willingness to set and maintain high standards of performance.
This job description is not meant to be an all inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but constitutes a general definition of the position's scope and function in the company.
Columbia Sportswear is an equal opportunity employer.