JOB OPPORTUNITY ANNOUNCEMENT
Diablo Valley College located in Pleasant Hill, California is accepting applications for a full-time, tenure track French and Italian Assistant Professor.
ANNUAL SALARY RANGE
(FIRST YEAR FACULTY)
$54,576 to $82,128 depending upon education and experience
Note: A collective bargaining agreement exists and membership in United Faculty or payment of a service fee is required.
Last Day to Apply: March 14, 2013, by 5:00 p.m.
BENEFITS Membership in State Teachers Retirement System (STRS)
District-paid benefits (employee contributes 6%) for employee and dependents/domestic partners include:
Medical (Health Net or Kaiser) insurance including chiropractic
Dental and vision
Flexible spending (125) plan
Life and long-term disability insurance
Employee assistance program
Deferred compensation (403b and 457)
EMPLOYMENT BEGINS Fall 2013 (August)
DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
Diablo Valley College is seeking a full-time (15 lecture hours/week), tenure track academic position in French and Italian to begin August 2013. The successful applicant will be well qualified to teach all French and Italian courses.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
In addition to contractual duties, which for this position will include the equivalent of 15 hours of classroom and lab instruction, all faculty are expected to participate actively in their disciplines, departmental activities, and the general intellectual life and governance of the college. Part of the teaching assignment may be in the evening and/or online. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
1. the advancement of student learning through dedicated, exemplary instruction in accordance with established course outlines;
2. participation in the development and revision of the curriculum and program review;
3. participation in department and college committees;
4. participation in professional development activities;
5. maintenance of current knowledge in the subject matter area and effective teaching/learning strategies;
6. maintenance of appropriate standards of professional conduct and ethics;
7. provide classroom instruction in accordance with approved course outlines;
8. prepare and grade class assignments and examinations and inform students of their
9. inform students of course requirements, evaluation procedures and attendance requirements;
10. maintain attendance, scholastic, and personnel records and submit them according to published deadlines;
11. post and maintain adequate and regular office hours in accordance with prevailing policy;
12. participate in department staff development and program improvement initiatives;
13. participate in the College’s shared governance process, curriculum development and related instruction areas.
The applicant must possess the following qualifications in both 1) French, and 2) Italian languages (earned degrees must be from an accredited college/university):
1. Master's degree or higher in French OR Bachelor’s degree in French and Master’s degree in another language or linguistics OR
A valid California community college instructor credential authorizing full-time instruction in French AND
2. Master's degree or higher in Italian OR
Bachelor’s degree in Italian and Master’s degree in another language or linguistics OR A valid California community college instructor credential authorizing full-time instruction in Italian OR
3. The equivalent for French and Italian disciplines. If you do not meet the above specific degree requirements but believe you meet the minimum qualifications, you MUST complete the equivalency form, located at the end of the job announcement.
The college is seeking applicants who exhibit the highest level of professional excellence and dedication as evidenced by:
Demonstrated commitment to student learning and to promoting the success of all students in an open-access learning environment.
Demonstrated sensitivity to, and ability to, motivate and teach community college students of diverse ethnic backgrounds, cultures, preparation, learning styles, and/or disabilities.
Demonstrated participation in professional growth and development activities that enhance innovation and improvement of teaching.
Demonstrated classroom experience utilizing technology for teaching purposes.
Demonstrated knowledge of diverse teaching and learning strategies, including teaching multilevel simultaneous classes in high school, college or university levels, in the French and Italian languages.
Applications will be screened to ensure the applicant meets the minimum qualifications as stated in the job announcement.
1. The applications, cover letters, answers to required supplemental questions, resumes, unofficial college transcripts, and other supporting materials submitted by all qualified applicants will be reviewed by a screening committee. Those who are deemed to posses the highest degree of desirable qualifications will be invited to the college at their own expense.
2. During the campus visit, each applicant will be interviewed and may be asked to conduct a demonstration appropriate to the discipline. Selected interviewees may be invited to present an entire lecture in front of a class. Responses to the interview questions and demonstration will be rated by the interview committee.
3. Based upon the overall rating, a small number of applicants will be invited at their own expense to the campus for an interview with the college president and vice president of instruction.
4. After consultation with the interview committee, the college president will make the final recommendation for employment to the chancellor and the governing board of the Contra Costa Community College District.
COMPLETE APPLICATION PACKET
MUST BE RECEIVED BY:
Last day to apply: March 14, 2013, by 5:00 p.m.
Vice President of Instruction
Diablo Valley College
321 Golf Club Road
Pleasant Hill, CA 94523
NO FAXED OR E-MAILED MATERIALS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
A complete application packet consists of:
Application, supplemental questionnaire, and additional job information may be obtained at www.4cd.edu, or by contacting the Office of the Vice President of Instruction, Diablo Valley College, 321 Golf Club Road, Pleasant Hill, CA 94523, telephone 925-685-1230, ext. 1929.
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the position
- Contra Costa Community College District Application for Employment – Academic
- Answers to REQUIRED Supplemental Questions that address Minimum Qualifications and Desirable Qualifications (see next page for Supplemental Questionnaire)
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Copy of college transcript(s) for screening purposes
- Equivalency form (found at the end of the job announcement) and supporting documentation (if qualifying under #3 of Minimum Qualifications)
The submission of a complete application packet is the responsibility of the applicant. Incomplete or late packets will not be accepted. Faxed or emailed materials will NOT be accepted.
Diablo Valley College (DVC) is a large suburban community college, approximately 25 miles east of San Francisco in Contra Costa County. One of three colleges in the Contra Costa Community College District, DVC enrolls approximately 20,000 students, about forty percent of whom come from groups historically underrepresented in higher education. DVC ranks consistently as one of the most successful transfer institutions in California and also offers a wide range of highly respected occupational programs leading to certificates or degrees. The faculty is known for its intellectual vitality and deep commitment to the success of its students. Additional information: www.dvc.edu.
The Contra Costa Community College District is a drug-free work place. The district verifies that all new employees are either U.S. citizens or aliens authorized to work in the U.S., in conformance with the 1986 Immigration and Control Act. Potential employees should be aware that smoking is prohibited in many areas of the district facilities.
THE CONTRA COSTA COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
In conformance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, requests for reasonable accommodation may be made to:
925-229-6854 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For administrative purposes requests must be made at the time of application.
To apply, visit:
Copyright ©2012 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency