The Front End Developer contributes to REI's success by developing new features and functionality for REI’s digital touch points. The Front End Developer is experienced in transforming data into the vision of REI’s Interaction Designers, Information Architects, and IT Software Engineers to create interactive features that deliver exceptional customer experiences for REI. The Front End Developer will be accountable for various levels of complexity from new site enhancements, application development, coding for accessibility, search engine optimization, performance optimization and incident response. The Front End Developer serves as a critical player in defining the implementation of all features and functionality. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission
- Creates JSP templates, with knowledge of JSTL.
- Implements third party APIs, such as Google Maps.
- Understands new and emerging technologies and works to integrate them into REI's digital touch points to improve the customer experience.
- Optimizes front end code for multiple browsers, platforms, and devices, with a keen focus on accessibility, search engine optimization, site performance and scalability.
- Creates documents and maintains REI company standards for front end mark-up and processes utilizing best practices.
- Collaborates with experience and interaction designers, information architects, IT software engineers, and program managers to develop project plans and innovative solutions for projects and enhancements.
- Responsible for keeping track of and adhering to project schedules and delivery dates; consistently promoting code on time and to spec throughout various stages of project.
- Ensures code has been thoroughly self-reviewed and unit tested with minimal bugs, and all requirements met.
- Uses agile methodology to manage work; consistently and rapidly develop customer-facing improvements.
- Troubleshoots and resolve site incidents in a timely manner.
- Ensures all analytics and reporting scripting is integrated and performing as expected.
- Collaborates and partners with third party vendors that connect to REI’s sites.
- Leverages usability and analytics to make code decisions that improve the customer experience.
Ability to participate in on-call rotation for 24x7 service requirement.
Cross-browser and cross-platform design and testing experience
Ability to work with web content management systems
Knowledge of JSP, and JSTL
Experience with AJAX techniques, as well JSON and XML
Implement and create APIs
Experience integrating tracking and other analytics tags
Requirements gathering from vendors and internal teams
Four-year degree in related field or equivalent work experience preferred
Experience working on large websites, with many interconnected systems
Experience working in an e-commerce retail environment preferred
Ability to diagnose and resolve site issues quickly
Solid understanding of agile methodologies
Demonstrated ability to work flexible schedules to meet project deadlines in a fast-paced environment
Extremely detailed oriented
Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
REI - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard
REI is a national outdoor retail cooperative, committed to inspiring, educating and outfitting for a lifetime of outdoor adventures. Founded...