Do you want to play a role in changing the scientific publishing industry? Do you believe in Open Source software and the Open Access movement? Do you want to join a subversive revolutionary force in science publishing? Do you want to help make the world’s scientific and medical literature a freely available public resource?
PLOS is using the best of web technologies to revolutionize scientific publication. We are currently looking for a talented and creative front-end engineer to join the PLOS development team within our rapidly growing San Francisco office. You will create user interfaces that are used by over 5 million people that visit the PLOS journals every month. Join our team where you will have the opportunity to make a real impact and implement exciting new features in the PLOS product line!
Qualifications and Experience:
- Work closely with the Product and Development teams to bring wire-frames and mock-ups to life using HTML5, CSS3, and jQuery.
- Create the front-end for the new mobile PLOS journal websites.
- Delve into Freemarker templates to generate HTML output.
- Create clean, functional, and extensible cross browser code.
- Collaborate on the design and implementation of new features.
- Work with cutting edge Open Source technologies.
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- 3 – 5 years of experience developing web pages for commercial web sites.
- Experience working with the Freemarker or a similar templating engine.
- Experience with Google Analytics a plus.
- Mobile web development experience a plus.
- Comfortable working in a Linux environment.
- Proficiency with Photoshop, GIMP, or related tools.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work well both in a team and individually.
- Intellectual curiosity, positive attitude, and pride in your work.
- Contribution to an Open Source software project is a plus.
The Public Library of Science (PLoS) - 9 months ago