We are hiring a Front End Software Engineer for its technology development team under the direction of its Chief Digital Officer. Our team is leading the effort to develop vital products to evolve the online news experience.
- Self-starter is your middle name; you can take or come up with a high level idea, and run with it
- You can survey what’s out there in the open source world, evaluate vendor products, or code it yourself
- You can communicate with technical and non-technical people alike, and show both technical and functional command of what you are doing
- You’re an owner: once something is assigned to you, it
- ’s not just a task, it’s a mission
You understand iterative development, a day without pushing code makes you sad
You’re not afraid to crack open an existing code base and bend it to your will
- You like designing software, and thinking through how it fits into larger efforts before you dive in
NOT REQUIRED, BUT IMPRESSIVE
- Can solve technical problems equally well with OO, DOM oriented, or functional JS
- Solid understanding of the web technology stack (i.e. headers, cookies, cross-domain restrictions, https, caching, optimization opportunities, etc.)
- Demonstrable experience with cross-browser JS and CSS development
- Experience with client-side site development in JS
- Solid understanding of HTML5 tags — functions and intent
- Comfortable with server side templating languages (e.g. Python, Java, Ruby) and ability to dive into controller/view code when required
- Experience with CoffeeScript, SASS, and LESS
- Experience with more recent web technologies (i.e. localStorage, geolocation, CSS transitions and transformations)
- You have experience with various AWS services and understand the challenges of deploying large applications in the cloud.
- Experience with Selenium and other front-end testing technologies.