About the challenge
Pacific Biosciences is looking for a full stack software engineer to develop control software for existing and future versions of our DNA sequencers. Our instrument includes robotics and machine vision for automatically handling liquids and taking stock of on-board consumables. It also has high performance optics and an environmental control center, all controlled with a touchscreen. The system software is written in C#, runs on Mono (Linux-based open source implementation of Microsoft's .NET), communicates with various devices/controllers via a real-time/C++ layer, and commands the various components to move, all the while image processing and laser alignment are taking place in real-time to ensure tiny holes are lit up on a chip containing the DNA sample. The fluorescence signal is then detected by on-board cameras where the signal is analyzed to detect the sequence of letters (nucleotides – Gs, As, Ts, and Cs) that make up our DNA.
About the job
What is a full stack software engineer anyway? You are one that would wear various hats at various times, ranging from writing high level Object Oriented SW to some low level C++ and rarely (but hopefully not) some Linux kernel and device drivers; you would also be responsible for integrating new devices into the system, and tuning motor motion profiles. In addition to that, you will need to write software that will detect actuator/sensor failures, identify recovery options, and communicate status and state to the user and let the user what they can do at any point in time. So, really, you would be familiar, if not a master, with all layers of our software technology. Oh, and finally, you must have excellent oral and written communication skills in order to be able to effectively interface with other engineers on the project (mechanical, quality, manufacturing, etc.)
If this all sounds exciting to you, you should come work with us. Here are some skills and experience that should apply to you:
• Bachelors and/or Masters in Computer Science, Engineering or other related discipline
• Minimum of 5 to 7 years of industry or equivalent work experience
• Experience with device control is required
• Experience with motion control (servos, steppers, encoders, PID loops) strongly desired
• Fluency in Object Oriented Design and Development (C++ and either C# or Java) required
• Experience with embedded Linux development, Linux kernel and device drivers is a plus
• Microcontroller and DSP experience desired
• Python experience very helpful
• Experience with image analysis and machine vision (preferably Halcon or OpenCV) is a plus
• Must be a self-starter with excellent oral and written communication skills, able to write or be provided with a functional spec and prototype hardware and deliver robust finished product
Pacific Biosciences offers the PacBio® RS Single Molecule, Real-Time DNA Sequencer to help scientists solve genetically complex problems. The PacBio RS enables: de novo genome assembly to more fully identify, annotate and decipher genomic structures; DNA base modification identification to help characterize epigenetic regulation and DNA damage and targeted sequencing to more comprehensively characterize genetic variations. By providing access to information that was previously inaccessible, Pacific Biosciences enables scientists to increase their understanding of biological systems. Why don’t you visit our website ( http://www.pacificbiosciences.com/ ) to learn more?
Pacific Biosciences’ mission is to transform the way humankind acquires, processes and interprets data from living systems through the...