Performs maintenance, land stewardship activities, and public contact duties; maintains and improves parks and picnic areas; maintains equipment, vehicles and water systems; promotes safety awareness among the public and staff; and performs construction and maintenance projects. Requires some weekend work. Download the Ranger Job Announcement for additional information.
Wind Wolves Preserve, a 95,000-acre nature preserve in the foothills at the southwestern tip of the San Joaquin Valley, is located approximately 40 minutes south of Bakersfield. Click here for more information.
How to Apply
E-mail cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Open until filled
COMPENSATION - $16/hr + benefits with Bachelor’s Degree
THE POSITION – Full-time, primarily outdoor job, working in all weather conditions. Performs maintenance, land stewardship activities, and public contact duties; maintains and improves parks and picnic areas; maintains equipment, vehicles and water systems; promotes safety awareness among the public and staff; and performs construction and maintenance projects. Requires some weekend work.
COMPANY - The Wildlands Conservancy – www.WildlandsConservancy.org
A private non-profit land trust dedicated to outdoor education, habitat preservation, ecological restoration and providing nature-oriented outdoor recreation opportunities to the public.
JOB LOCATION - Wind Wolves Preserve
A 95,000-acre nature preserve at the southwestern tip of the San Joaquin Valley, about 45 minutes south of Bakersfield.
Greets public visitors, provides information, ensures their safety, enforces rules and regulations of the Preserve.
Conducts campfire programs and nature hikes.
Patrols the Preserve, provides protection and security to the land and its resources; occasionally deals with illegal hunters on the premises.
Assists in construction/landscaping of new facilities, campgrounds, picnic areas and trails.
Repairs and maintains buildings, facilities, landscaping, irrigation systems, equipment (weed eaters, mowers, vehicles, generators, etc.).
Assists in habitat restoration programs for oak woodlands, riparian habitat, native grasslands; and eradication of exotic plants (may include use of herbicides).
Assists in fighting wildfires as necessary (we provide additional training).
Performs janitorial work in office and restrooms.
Performs various other duties relating to land stewardship.
Education – Bachelors degree in biological, environmental sciences, or Rangeland Management.
- TWC’s conservation mission and commitment to it.
- Grounds maintenance procedures.
- Grounds equipment operation and maintenance procedures.
- Water and irrigation system maintenance procedures.
- Basic principles of ecology, plant taxonomy, natural history and habitat restoration.
- Effectively communicate in English and Spanish with co-workers and the public highly
- Effectively deal with difficult (potentially confrontational) situations with the public, visitors
to labels and instructions accompanying grounds maintenance equipment and products.
- Work cooperatively with fellow employees, supervisors and management.
- Read, understand and follow written company policies, procedures and directives, in addition
- Understand and carry out environmental protection and conservation policies related to job
maintenance and equipment repair duties.
- Perform strenuous work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Skillfully perform janitorial, carpentry, electrical, plumbing, welding, and mechanical
rake, shovel, dig; install and maintain irrigation systems.
- Perform all landscape maintenance tasks including operate weed eaters and mowers; weed,
- Competently and safely operate a 4x4 vehicle on extreme road conditions.
medical plans based on years of service.
- Health Insurance - $300-$1000/mo. towards health insurance premiums for TWC sponsored
on a pretax basis.
- Section 125 Flexible Spending Account – For payment of medical & dependent care expenses
HOW TO APPLY
- 401(k) Plan - TWC matches employee contributions up to 3%.
- Paid Time Off –128 hours per year with increases each year up to a total of 224 hours per year.
- Holidays – 72 hours per year.
Appointment subject to passing pre-employment physical and drug test, and submission of a current DMV
- E-mail cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
printout detailing your driving record.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Salary: $16/hr + benefits. Date posted: 06/03/2013
Great Green Careers - 19 months ago
copy to clipboard