The Prospect Park Alliance, working in partnership with City of New York and the community, restores, develops, and operates Prospect Park for the enjoyment of all by caring for the natural environment, preserving historic design, and serving the public through facilities and programs. Prospect Park is Brooklyn’s 585-acre historic flagship park, designed by the famed Olmsted and Vaux. It is the home of Brooklyn’s only lake and forest, with nature trails, numerous recreational activities, public and school-based educational programs, volunteer opportunities, and the first urban Audubon Center.
The Prospect Park Alliance is currently seeking a Fundraising Events Assistant to join a dynamic and successful development team that raises nearly $5 million annually in operating support. This is an excellent opportunity to learn about developing and executing fundraising events while working on at least five events per year, ranging from breakfasts to galas.
Primary duties of the Fundraising Events Assistant include assisting the Director of Fundraising Events with all aspects of planning and executing events, including correspondence, database and production management; and administrative support, such as budget tracking, filing, and meeting preparation. The Fundraising Events Assistant has primary responsibility for event silent auctions, supports the Director in the management of all event committees, and must be able to attend occasional evening meetings as well as every Alliance fundraising event.
Silent Auction, Gift Bags, and Raffle
- Assist Director with all event correspondence, including committee solicitation letters, invitations, response follow up, and acknowledgements.
- Maintain up to date data, through Raiser’s Edge, where appropriate, of event ticket buyers, donors, and attendees.
- Assist with event organization, including themes, logistics, and timelines.
- Assist with management of volunteers and interns, where appropriate.
- Work with Event Consultant and other consultants, where appropriate, to assist in managing events.
- Assist in management of production and distribution of printed materials, including invitations, journals, and programs.
- Attend Event Committee meetings and provide support to Committee members where necessary, including solicitor list management.
- Manage the silent auction, raffle, and gift bag components of all events, including solicitation of items, collection of payment, distribution of items, and acknowledgement to all participants.
- Work with Director of Fundraising Events and members of Institutional Giving to research and contact businesses regarding sponsorships and raffle, gift bag, and silent auction items.
- Manage online portions of silent auction, including page setup, item descriptions, and working with committee, as appropriate.
- Analyze auction results to increase income and improve participation.
Candidates for the Fundraising Events Assistant must be organized and detail-oriented as well as able to multi-task. This position requires interaction with colleagues, committee members, donors, vendors and members of the public via telephone and email as well as in person so strong verbal and written communication skills and good judgment are essential. The ideal candidate will possess imagination and enthusiasm and is a strong self-starter who can also work well with colleagues and volunteers. Candidates must be comfortable working in an open-plan office with several other employees and must be willing and able to drive Parks vehicles. Candidates must be able to work some evenings and some weekends as required. A good sense of humor is recommended.
- Assist in maintenance of database, including solicitor lists and in kind gifts.
- Implement usage and update information on Raiser’s Edge Events tab.
- Work with Individual Giving to create and maintain standards for data entry and maintenance.
- Write and run reports, where necessary, to track income and create mail merges.
- Run statistical reports on donations.
- Assist in tracking income goals.
Qualifications for the Fundraising Events Assistant include a BA and 1 – 3 years office experience. A driver’s license valid in the state of New York is required. Previous database experience is strongly preferred. Experience with social media is a plus.
The Fundraising Events Assistant is a full-time position at 35 hours per week (M – F, 9 – 5 p.m., nights and weekends where necessary) with a salary range of high $20K depending on experience. The Prospect Park Alliance offers an excellent benefits package.
Prospect Park Alliance - 17 months ago