Major Areas of Accountability:
Genex Cooperative, Inc. has two internship positions available for working with the GENESIS Cooperative Herd.
The mission of the GENESIS Internship is to provide college students an enhanced work experience, gaining "real-world" hands-on work experience, as well as exposing students to the many aspects of the GENESIS Cooperative Herd.
Daily Duties Include (but not limited to):
· Feed and care of Holstein bull and heifer calves, including bottle feeding, grain, water, administering treatments, etc.
· Feed and care of donor females: administering shots, etc.
· Feed and care of recipient females (beef and dairy): administering shots, etc.
· Feed and care of Genex active and young sires: evening feeding and light barn cleaning.
· Accurately detect and record estrus on recipient and donor females (observation and record keeping).
· Check on recipient females that are close to calving during the evening/night hours, and assist with delivery of offspring: birthing assistance in biosecure facility, feeding and caring for newborn calf.
· Assist with pregnancy diagnosis and fetal sexing via ultrasound.
· Artificial Insemination (after completing Genex A.I. training).
· Performing biosecurity tasks: cleaning/washing maternity stalls, calf hutches, etc.
Other Education Opportunities:
· Observe first hand extensive embryo implantation and recovery operation ( Interns will not transfer embryos ).
· Learn how to manage recipient and donor females for embryo transfer.
· Experience a biosecure facility and learn how to maintain a disease-free herd.
· Observe semen collection, processing, storage, and distribution.
· Artificial insemination training/certification.
· Learn how to diagnose later-pregnancies.
· Networking within the CRI/Genex departments that help our cooperative be a success (Dairy Cattle Genetics, Beef Programs, Support Services, Public Relations, Domestic Marketing, International Divisions, etc.)
· Earning credit for the internship toward degree if accepted for the GENESIS Internship.
· Must be currently enrolled and at least sophomore status at an accredited college or university.
· Animal or Dairy Science major.
· Minimum grade point average of 2.5/4.0.
· At least one course pertaining to reproductive physiology.
· Experience (hands-on) working with cattle (dairy or beef). Must also be willing to work with both beef and dairy cattle.
$1,200 per month (housing included)
Two Intern positions available for each semester:
· Fall 2013: August 15 through December 15 (Deadline: June 1, 2013)
· Spring 2014: January 1 through May 15 (Deadline: October 1, 2013)
· Summer 2014: May 15 through August 15 (Deadline: Febuary 1, 2014)
Submit applications online http://newdata.crinet.com/jobs/jobapply.php and attach your resume, cover letter and college transcripts. College transcripts should be included with cover letter document when submitting online. If not submitting online, please mail application to the address below.
Cooperative Resources International - 15 months ago