Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community.
Hennepin County Diversity Policy
The Hennepin County Information Technology (IT) Department delivers innovative, effective, and timely business-driven information technology solutions in a secure, reliable, accessible, and fiscally responsible manner.
Hennepin County's Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Office is seeking to fill one vacancy for a GIS Coordinator. The GIS Coordinator acts as a technical liaison with the primary focus of building GIS capacity, strengthening lines of communication, and coordinating enterprise activities between the assigned departments and the GIS Office.
The Hennepin County's GIS Office provides GIS Business Services (GBS), Software Services (GSS), Project Services (GPS), and Data Services(GDS). The new coordinator position will be located within the GBS and report to the Business Service Lead.
The primary duties and responsibilities of this position include:
Best Qualified Candidates will have:
- Serve as the primary contact for GIS activities in the assigned departments
- Maintain knowledge of client's priorities and support expanding the use of spatial data to inform management decision-making.
- Provide expertise in geospatial analyses, spatial data structures, and cartography.
- Investigate and analyze new technologies and communicate best practices to clients and team members.
- Assist with the coordination and implementation of GIS within the assigned departments, as well as the alignment to the enterprise GIS.
- Research, assess, and propose GIS opportunities for the assigned departments.
- Develop consultative relationships with management and GIS users.
- Provide GIS end user support, outreach, and educational opportunities for line of business managers and staff.
Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience. Hire will be contingent upon successful completion of a background check prior to employment.
- One of the following:
- A bachelor's degree or higher in geography/GIS, computer science, management information systems (MIS), or related field plus at least two full-time equivalent years of professional information technology experience.
- An associate's degree or approved certification in an IT program in geography/GIS, computer science, management information systems (MIS) or related field plus at least four full-time equivalent years of professional information technology experience.
- An approved equivalent combination of the above cited education and experience to equal at least six full-time equivalent years.
- Four or more years of relevant GIS experience.
- Advanced knowledge of ESRI's ArcGIS Desktop Software (9.x & 10.x).
- Advanced knowledge of spatial database design principles and geodatabase construction.
- Basic knowledge of RDBMS, structured query language (SQL), and Microsoft SQL Server.
- Ability to:
- Work in a team environment.
- Communicate effectively with team members and county leadership.
- Work under limited supervision.
- Write reports, needs assessments, and procedure documentation.
- Present materials within both an educational and administrative environment.
- Effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, staff, outside agencies, and the general public.
- Demonstrate the employee competencies .
If you need assistance or a reasonable accommodation to actively participate in the employment process, please email us at HR.ServiceCenter@co.hennepin.mn.us or call us at 612.348.2163.
Hennepin County provides equal access to employment, programs and services without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, sex (except when sex is a Bona Fide Occupational Qualification), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, public assistance or national origin. If you believe you have been discriminated against, contact the Human Resources Department, A-400 Government Center, Minneapolis, MN 55487, 612-348-2163.
Current open positions may be viewed at www.hennepin.jobs
Hennepin County - 17 months ago