Assist GIS Coordinator in maintaining the integrity and advance productive use of the municipal geographic information systems (GIS) by providing the City with thematic mapping through the use of a GIS system. Provide quality customer service and communications in performance of daily GIS duties throughout the City.
This is an unpaid internship, with flexible hours scheduled within the normal business day (Monday - Friday, 8am - 4:30pm).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. GIS Responsibilities
• Provide technical support to all City departments for all software problems including GIS.
• Create spatial and non-spatial GIS data sets, and maintain the integrity of data sets by keeping the data current and accurate.
• Assist in managing and maintaining all ESRI ArcSDE enterprise geodatabases including performance of configuration and tuning, version upgrades (SQL Server and ArcSDE), database security and access and ArcSDE compression and version management.
• Work with other departments and external agencies to incorporate their existing data and needs in to the GIS system and applications.
• Produce layouts, charts, and GIS-related posters as requested.
• Assist in the installation and upgrading of GIS software, processing of source data and execution of data conversions.
• Assist with day to day help desk requests concentrating on those associated with the GIS system.
• Assist other staff members at various levels in obtaining a higher level of competence in the use of GIS tools.
2. Other Department Responsibilities
• Provide graphics and maps and other property-related information to both internal and external customers as directed.
• Work in partnership with GIS Coordinator to provide technical assistance and troubleshooting to address specific system needs and solve hardware and software problems.
3. Other Duties
• Perform other duties as assigned or apparent.
• High School Diploma or GED equivalent and enrollment in a college or University pursuing a degree in GIS or related field.
• One year experience with ArcView, Arc/Info, ArcGIS Server and/or other ESRI GIS products, with general knowledge of surveying, mapping and photogrametric techniques.
• Ability to operate GIS systems, including digital collected topography and terrain models and land databases.
• Valid MN driver's license.
• Ability to communicate clearly and efficiently in writing, verbally, and electronically.
• Must be able to organize, plan and manage multiple tasks with minimal supervision.
• Ability to establish and maintain a good working relationship with colleagues.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule including some weekends, evenings and early mornings.
• Ability to physically perform all essential duties and responsibilities including sit or stand for prolonged periods of time, ability to kneel and bend while installing computer systems, manual dexterity, and ability to operate assigned equipment.
• Experience in a governmental agency or engineering consulting firm, preparing plans, graphics and computer databases for municipal-related projects.
• Knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio and Microsoft Visual Studio.
City of St. Louis Park, MN - 14 months ago