This is a professional staff position responsible for the administration, design, creation, maintenance and support of a comprehensive, accurate Geographic Information System (GIS). Work involves decision making in the design and architecture for the enterprise GIS, as well as coordinating the GIS needs of all city departments. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Deputy Director of Community and Economic Development.
Examples of Duties:
• Creates, updates and maintains GIS base map and enterprise geodatabases.
• Creates thematic and comprehensive maps for analysis, quality control, presentations and distribution.
• Provides technical assistance and advice to users in all aspects of GIS.
• Troubleshoots GIS technology issues.
• Monitors and maintains the integrity of the citywide GIS.
• Translates legal land descriptions and Public Land Survey System (PLSS) data to cartographic representations.
• Work with GIS team to develop data standards, program goals, and maintenance procedures.
• Acts as a liaison for the City with hardware/software vendors, developers, consultants and user groups.
• Researches and evaluates current/new technologies and recommends implementation strategies.
• Presents GIS technology to City committees, public and user groups.
• Works on special projects as assigned.
• Maintains regular punctual and predictable attendance, works overtime and extra hours as required.
Bachelor's degree in GIS, Geography, Mapping, Urban Planning or related field with at least 3-5 years of experience, or any equivalent combination of education, experience and training which provides the following knowledge, abilities and skills:
• Thorough knowledge of cartographic principles and procedures.
• Knowledge of the generally accepted practices of computer technology, hardware and software.
• Ability to train users on GIS hardware and software effectively.
• Experience using a variety of GIS and CAD software including ArcMap, ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Mobile and Auto CAD.
• Familiarity with concepts including GPS, projections, legal descriptions, surveying, aerial photography, geodatabases and Lidar data.
• Familiarity with ArcSDE administration, designing and maintaining GIS web applications and ability to program reoccurring GIS tasks.
• Willingness to learn new GIS technologies.
• Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
• Ability to prepare a variety of documents including technical reports, maps, procedure manuals, metadata and other correspondence.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public.
• Ability to work effectively in a team setting.
• Ability to understand, communicate and carry out complex oral and/or written instructions.
• Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision and conform to deadlines.
• Ability to sustain prolonged visual concentration.
• Ability to work occasional nights or weekends.
• Possess and maintain a valid Wisconsin driver's license.
City of Appleton, WI - 30+ days ago