Under general supervision, updates, compiles, and analyzes large, complex multi-layered geo-spatial data sets on the City Geographic Information System (GIS) database; maintains GIS data servers and provides technical expertise in developing operational and application solutions.
Examples of Essential Duties:
- Develops and maintains the GIS enterprise database; GIS is an integrated computer technology which utilizes multi-layered geo-spatial data on geographic boundaries, features, utilities, addresses and locations in the City and the region.
- Analyzes component layers and structure of GIS data sets; maintains servers to manipulate, integrate, and compile data; manages database services to maintain efficiency.
- Assists with the continuous development, operation and maintenance of the GIS enterprise, including components of the system database, system hardware and software, and system design.
- Maintains the master reference grid that contains geodetic control points used for registering geographic data, locations and addresses; coordinates and resolves all addressing issues, including fieldwork to verify physical data; evaluates and corrects new data sets.
- Compiles geographic data from a variety of sources; scans, rectifies, and digitizes data; edits and refines GIS data, and updates database; performs quality control checks to assure data integrity.
- Evaluates, recommends and installs new software, hardware and peripheral equipment.
- Serves as subject matter expert on GIS; provides technical support, training and assistance to City staff; analyzes data, incorporates field data changes, and recommends solutions to meet standards.
- Produces special purpose maps and models for City departments; determines and executes the appropriate sequence of data processing tasks; uses established GIS software programs, commands, programming languages and compilation methods to generate, process, analyze and manage spatial data to create models and maps; updates website.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Bothell and the constituent population by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with clients, visitors, and City staff; enthusiastically promotes the City goals and priorities in compliance with all policies and procedures.
- Maintains absolute confidentiality of work-related issues, client records and City information; performs related duties as required or assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Planning, Engineering, Earth Sciences or a closely related field; AND three years of experience in developing and managing a spatial database in a GIS program; OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- City policies and procedures.
- Principles and practices of GIS / CAD, including data compilation and conversion, database management systems, graphics applications and overlays, and spatial models for computer analysis.
- Principles of land planning, mapping, global positioning systems, planimetrics and orthophotography.
- Principals and procedures used to design, develop and maintain relational databases.
- Specialized ESRI and SQL programming languages, technologies and protocols.
- Data source integrity and metadata standards.
- Database systems integration and quality assurance procedures, and documentation standards.
- Administration and maintenance principles of network operating domains, servers, relational databases, and specialized software applications.
- Capabilities of computer systems, including networked environments and peripheral devices.
- Computer hardware, software and peripheral equipment troubleshooting techniques.
- Principles of record keeping and records management.
- Field data collection methods and technologies.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Using ESRI software suite programs and application programming languages.
- Reading, understanding, developing and analyzing geographic information in a variety of data formats and projections.
- Understanding and working with data from multiple public and private sources.
- Maintaining accurate and interrelated database records, and identifying and reconciling errors.
- Collecting, organizing, analyzing and presenting technical and statistical information in reports.
- Solving technical problems involving integrated operating systems and hardware platforms.
- Interpreting technical instructions and analyzing complex variables.
- Using initiative and independent judgment within established procedural guidelines.
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with co-workers.
- Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
A valid Washington State Driver’s License may be required. Environmental Systems Research Institute, Inc. (ESRI) professional certifications are preferred.
PLEASE NOTE: You must complete the Supplemental Questionnaire and upload it to your application in order for your application to move forward in the process. Click here for the Questionnaire.
Successful candidate must pass a criminal history background check.
Probation lasts for 12 months. Employee is eligible for salary step increase after 12 months of employment based on successfully meeting performance standards; performance appraisals are scheduled every six months. An internal, regular City employee selected for this position must successfully complete a 6-month initial probation period. If employee does not satisfactorily complete initial appraisal period, employee will return to their previous position.
Union Representation: This position is represented by Local #3845 of American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME).
This is a regular budgeted, Council approved, FLSA non-exempt position.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
Work is performed in a standard office environment.
City of Bothell, WA - 17 months ago