Interest Sub Category:
Job Title :
Type of Position:
- Bachelors degree in a scientific field or demonstrated equivalent.
- Experience with GIS and ESRI ArcGIS software.
- Computer skills and an understanding of data management concepts in a relational database.
- Demonstrated success in applying cartographic principles.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Excellent problem-solving and time-management skills.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
The successful candidate will work under the direction of experienced GIS professionals to support a wide variety of engineering and environmental projects in a large office of engineering and environmental professionals. Each member of the GIS Team is expected to eventually become an expert at supporting specific engineering/environmental practices. This is a challenging and rewarding environment for a new GIS professional who has a strong desire to learn and to solve complex problems.
Responsibilities / Objectives:
- GIS is where the data for projects comes together. Up to half of this position involves integrating data from many sources such as GPS, project databases, CAD, and public datasets. Data integration is complex, and a successful GIS Specialist will have a strong interest in problem solving to find the most applicable and feasible solution.
- Other responsibilities include map production, data management, and data analysis. All employees are accountable for the production of high quality maps and data.
- The candidate will work with engineering/environmental project team members under the direction of senior GIS professionals. GIS Specialists typically works on several different projects each week. Daily discussions about the needs of various projects will be routine. Routine contact with clients (both internal and external) and data providers will be necessary.
- The GIS Specialist will work with engineers, scientists, planners, and regulatory specialists. Projects include NEPA planning, environmental investigation and remediation, and community planning for transportation, energy, water resources, and mining clients in both the private and public sector.
URS Corporation provides a range of engineering, construction, maintenance, and technical services for customers around the world. Through...