GIS Technician (Norfolk, VA)
Listing 2.03.03 v2
Control Number: N2013-028
Open Date: 10/2/13
Close Date: 10/16/13 COB
An Equal Opportunity Employer - M/F/D/V. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. We do not typically sponsor H-1B visas.
Must apply online through corporate website at www.clarknexsen.com.
Celebrating over 90 years of success, Clark Nexsen, PC is a full-service, multi-discipline architectural and engineering design firm. We are headquartered in Norfolk, Virginia with offices in Washington DC, Asheville, Raleigh and Charlotte, NC, Richmond and Roanoke, VA, and Macon, Brunswick, and Atlanta, GA. Our 475+ employees enjoy competitive compensation, an upbeat and professional work environment, and numerous opportunities for career development. We are ranked among the top 200 international A/E design firms by Engineering News-Record and have been recognized many times as one of the Top 10 Best Places to Work. We promote strong ties with the communities in which we live and work - our employees are involved in countless community service projects.
Generous benefits include Health, Dental, 401k, Life, Short-and Long-term Disability, Vacation/Sick. Optional Aflac, Flexible Benefits, and Legal Resources available.
A Geographic Information System (GIS) Technician will be responsible for performing GIS duties on stand-alone GIS projects and provide support to multi-discipline projects as directed by GIS Analysts and the Director of GIS.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Project responsibilities include:
- Operate Global Positioning system GPS devices
- Analyze GIS data to identify spatial relationships or display results of analyses, using maps, graphs, or tabular data
- Implement GIS maps using ArcGIS Desktop
- Perform data conversion for inputting into GIS system
- Perform geodatabase data entry
- Respond to the internal requests for GIS support
- Perform tasks as directed by supervisor
- Create marketing material as requested by the supervisor
- Provide technical support to users or clients regarding the maintenance, development, or operation of GIS databases, equipment, or applications
- Interpret aerial or ortho photgraphs
- Conduct fieldwork to obtain data for entry into GIS databases
- Extensive travel required
- Adhere to project budget and schedule
- Correctly convert Global Positioning System (GPS) data
- Correctly enter and maintain GIS system information
- Support field work initiatives for data collection
- Participate in GPS field team efforts
- Perform Geodatabase validation rules under supervision
- Follow all company policies, procedures, and safety rules
- Managing time wisely
To adequately perform this job, an employee must be able to:
- Travel up to 50% of the time
- Walk long distances outdoors with varying terrain
- Stand and walk for up to 8 hours a day
To perform this job, candidates should have completed one of the following education paths:
Licenses, Certifications, and Accreditations
- A high school diploma or GED plus completed a minimum of 8 credit hours of college level coursework in Geography, GIS, Urban Planning, Computer Science, or Civil Engineering or equivalent experience
- A high school diploma or GED plus a certification in AutoCAD or MicroStation
- A completed Associate's Degree in Geography, GIS, Urban Planning, Computer Science, or Civil Engineering is preferred.
- An accredited Bachelor's Degree in Geography, GIS, Urban Planning, Computer Science, or Civil Engineering will be given additional consideration.
Consideration will be given for candidates who have the following certifications:
- Geographic Information Systems Professional (GISP) Certificate is not required but highly desired
The ideal candidate will be proficient in the use of the following software programs:
A candidate with a working knowledge of the following software programs will receive additional consideration:
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook)
- AutoCAD, or AutoCAD Civil3D, or MicroStation
- Adobe Acrobat
- ESRI ArcGIS
- Microsoft Office Visio
- TerraGo Publisher for ArcGIS
The candidate must have:
Significant consideration will be given to candidates who have:
- A minimum of 2 years' experience using geospatial tools in one of the following software programs - ESRI ArcGIS, AutoCAD, Microstation, ERDAS;
- A good understanding of GIS software and functions with conceptual knowledge of coordinate systems and conversion requirements.
Design Project Experience
- Actual field experience in the collection of GPS data collection and processing
- Actual field experience with remote sensing techniques.
The ideal candidate will have experience working on one or more of the following types of projects:
Other Criteria and Considerations
- Commercial / private projects
- DoD facilities
- Other State and Federal Government Facilities
- Projects utilizing BIM
The ideal candidate will:
- Live locally or have local ties to the area
- Present an organized application and resume. Affirmative answers to relevant experience questions in the application should be clearly backed up in the application itself and within your resume (which can be attached).
- Possess good communication skills. (Your online application and resume will be reviewed for written communication skills, completeness, and attention to detail.)
- Have an enthusiastic, client-oriented, can-do attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
- Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole
Clark Nexsen - 16 months ago
copy to clipboard