GIS Technician (Job Number: 326560)
The BDR Division of SAIC is one of the nation's premier emergency management consultancies, providing all-hazards mitigation, emergency preparedness planning, disaster response and recovery, and grant management/long term recovery services for public and private sector clients across the United States.
The BDR Division has an immediate need for a GIS Technician based out of our Maitland Florida headquarters.
Primary duties include performing skilled digital mapping involving preparation and maintenance of digital maps for the division’s Response and Recovery operations section, validation of data using spatial tools, converting hand drawn maps into a digital format for use in a Geographic Information System (GIS), and providing supportive mapping data and analysis upon request. This position is intended to provide support for the division’s GIS portal, custom mapping requests and other GIS functions as assigned. The position may require travel up to 50% of time during disaster response periods.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Creates, maintains and updates standard and custom GIS maps;
• Conducts research and validation of data contained in the spatial and relational databases used to provide map services for GIS maps and applications;
• Produces printed maps showing map features, grid boundaries, relevant project locations, etc.;
• Provides technical and administrative assistance for the division’s GIS Portal and services;
• Other related duties assigned by the Response and Recovery data management section or their designee;
• Maintains a positive, helpful, constructive attitude and working relationship with office employees, and division client’s GIS contacts;
• Ability to interpret, identify, assess, or diagnose a variety technical issues furnished in written, oral, diagram, and plan approaches that respond to problems or challenges;
• Ability to prioritize work and research information to complete work independently and multi-task duties.
Technology and Tools Requirements:
- Competent ability to use a personal computer with Microsoft Windows 7 and Office 2007/2010;
• Demonstrated experience using ArcGIS 10.1 desktop software for preparing and maintaining such maps, along with the ability to analyze and summarize data;
• ArcGIS experience including but not limited to constructing polygons using coordination geometry, map document project creation, import of shape and point data from external data sources, projection conversion, symbology, and use and manipulation of geo-databases.
• T-SQL Language proficiency using Microsoft SQL Server 2008
Environmental Factors and Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Enter data into a computer terminal, PC, or other keyboard device requiring continuous or repetitive arm-hand-eye movement;
• Remain in a sitting position for extended periods of time;
• Perceive color as defined by the Inter Society Color Council-National Bureau of Standards system;
• Perform fine hand movements in the accurate use of pointing devices;
• May be required to lift and carry items weighing up to 50 pounds.
Minimum Technical Qualifications:
The appropriately qualified candidate will have the following core competencies and required experience:
• A successful candidate will have between 2 and 5 years of experience with a GISP or accredited GIS certificate.
• A B.S. or B.A. or M.S. in Geography, Computer Science or GIS related Environmental Discipline is a plus.
• Experience developing GIS applications and services, based on ArcGIS Enterprise databases is a plus.
SAIC is a FORTUNE 500® scientific, engineering, and technology applications company that uses its deep domain knowledge to solve problems of vital importance to the nation and the world, in national security, energy & environment, health and cybersecurity. The company's approximately 41,000 employees serve customers in the U.S. Department of Defense, the intelligence community, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, other U.S. Government civil agencies and selected commercial markets. Headquartered in McLean, Va., SAIC had annual revenues of approximately $10.6 billion for its fiscal year ended January 31, 2012. For more information, visit www.saic.com. SAIC: From Science to Solutions®
Job Posting: May 14, 2013, 11:25:31 AM
Primary Location: United States-NJ-PISCATAWAY
Clearance Level Must Currently Possess: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: None
Potential for Teleworking: No
Travel: Yes, 50% of the time
Shift: Day Job
SAIC - 21 months ago
SAIC, Inc. is a provider of scientific, engineering, systems integration and technical services and solutions to all branches of the United...