The GIS Technician will work as a team member of GIS group. He/she will build and maintain GIS data related to pipeline engineering, construction, operations and maintenance, ROW and other functions that are part of a engineering company. He/she will provide supportive mapping and data analysis upon request and other projects related to comprehensive planning.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Use Esri’s ArcGIS suite of software to digitize polylines and points representing pipeline assets and facilities into the company’s enterprise GIS system.
- Research and confirm system data to assure accuracy, making all necessary edits and updates as needed.
- Perform occasional field work collecting GPS data and processing data.
- Create presentation quality maps and plot them using large format plotting equipment.
- Research resources such as project archives to verify asset locations and attributes needed for mapping.
- Utilize good communication skills working with engineers and field employees.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- All duties are to be performed in accordance with Environmental, Health and Safety Guidelines.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
EDUCATION & WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Providing information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Able to work and communicate effectively with all levels of co-workers, clients, and other external contacts.
- Demonstrate basic computer knowledge through effective use of a personal computer including Microsoft Office applications. Able to learn company specific applications.
- Knowledge of mapping applications including Esri’s ArcGIS.
- Knowledge of GPS technology, data collection, and integration with GIS software.
- Knowledge of key cartography concepts and skills.
- Ability to read and use zoning maps, quarter-section maps, plat maps, land use maps, single line maps and aerial maps.
- Ability to execute multiple projects simultaneously.
- Able to effectively manage time and prioritize projects in order to meet established deadlines.
- Ability to become familiar with industry specific terminology and symbology.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Willingness to accept and follow directions.
- Self-motivated and able to work well independently and in team settings.
- Demonstrate strong attention to detail and basic analytical skills.
- Able to adhere to departmental and organization standards for data creation, management and dissemination.
- A.S. or B.S./B.A. degree and 1 – 2 years GIS experience
- Degree can be substituted with 4 years relevant GIS experience
- Experience in the oil and gas industry is preferred
Lambrecht Professionals - 22 months ago