Talisman Energy Inc., headquartered in Canada, is a global, diversified, upstream oil and gas company with three main operating areas: North America, the North Sea, and Southeast Asia. As a subsidiary, Talisman Energy USA Inc has oil and gas operations strategically located throughout New York, Pennsylvania, and Texas. Talisman and its subsidiaries are committed to the health, safety, and security of its employees, contractors, and communities; and works to ensure its operations are carried out safely, in a socially and environmentally responsible manner. Talisman Energy Inc. is included in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (North America) and its Company shares trade on the Toronto and New York Stock Exchanges as TLM. Visit Talisman Energy USA Inc. on the Internet at www.talismanusa.com and Talisman Energy Inc. at www.talisman-energy.com .
Req ID #: 16641
Title: GIS Technician
Closing Date: March 31, 2013
Employment Type : Contract
Location : The Woodlands, Texas
The GIS Technician will support Talisman Energy USA Inc.’s business goals by using GIS tools and related technology in creating and maintaining maps and data, and providing overall GIS Team support.
- Provides technical and administrative assistance for the Talisman GIS Team.
- Assist with the operation, maintenance, collection and documentation of new GIS standards, methods and assets.
- Presents GIS work/reports at meetings and awareness sessions.
- Graphic editing and design, (Photoshop, Visio, etc.)
- Design and produce quality cartographic products based on user requirements.
- Assist with the transfer of digital data to and from other agencies and consultants.
- Create, update, and maintain GIS vector data.
- Perform GPS and CAD file conversions
- Fundamental understanding of coordinate systems and projections.
- Scans, rectifies, and digitizes data; builds topology, enters data attributes, checks for errors, and verifies accuracy; makes required corrections and edits/refines GIS data as necessary.
- Provide staff support and research in development, maintenance, updating and retrieving information from various GIS related files and relational databases.
- Manages Talisman’s GIS metadata for all geographic data and projects.
- Inputs, updates, and maintains tabular data according to specifications and quality control guidelines.
- Participate in the design, development and creation of databases, maps and other related projects.
- Provides GIS technical support in the development, presentation, and maintenance of geographic data applications.
- Data entry, digitizing and data manipulation procedures for GIS.
- Demonstrates corporate values: Safety, Passion, Bias for Results, Respect, Excellence, Teamwork, Honest Communication
- A 2 or 4 year degree in Geography, GIS, Environmental Science AND at least 1 year of work experience.
- OR candidate with a high school diploma with at least 1 year of college classes in Math, GIS, Geography, Geology, Cartography, Natural Resources, Computer Science, Planning, Environmental Science or a related field AND 2 years work experience (internships are acceptable) using GIS software
- Proficiency with ArcGIS Desktop Suite.
- Demonstrates a positive and professional attitude in all interactions with the GIS team, internal and external customers, and with co-workers at Talisman.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Troubleshooting ability, computer literacy and organizational skills.
- Ability to coordinate resolution to sometimes complex issues.
- Works well independently and with minimal supervision.
- Ability to manage and prioritize workload while managing multiple tasks.
- Ability to work effectively under tight deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- High level of skill in Microsoft Office business application tools.
- Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively within Talisman framework.
Supervisory responsibilities: None
- Some local travel
- Occasion travel to field locations
- This role is not eligible for relocation
- Only candidates who are legally eligible to work in the United States will be considered
By applying for this position, you consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of the personal information provided during the application and selection process.