- Holds Master's Degree from an accredited college or university and completion of an approved school guidance and counseling program; holds or is eligible for appropriate licensure
- Has successful full-time teaching experience or successful experience in guidance and counseling
To help students overcome problems that impede learning and to assist them in making educational, occupational, and life plans appropriate to their age/maturity level leading to their development as productive citizens; to help students develop their potential to live full, useful lives.
- Works to resolve students' educational handicaps; works to discover and develop special abilities of students; works to prevent students from dropping out of school
- Works with students on an individual basis in the solution of personal problems related to such situations as home and family relations, peer relations, health, and emotional adjustment; is available to students to provide counseling in such areas as personal growth, self-understanding, and maturity
- Conducts small group counseling on student-selected and counselor-identified topics such as study skills, social skills, anger management, self-esteem, changing families, and grief
- Creates and provides classroom instruction every two to three weeks through lessons promoting character education, self-advocacy, occupational choices, and bullying prevention based on Virginia Department of Education and American School Counselor Association standards for school counseling programs
- Obtains and disseminates occupational information to students and to classes studying occupations; helps students evaluate career interests and choices; may organize and conduct career day
- Provides crisis counseling when needed, for prevention, intervention, and follow-up, with referrals, when necessary, to community resources
- Provides in-service training in school counseling for staff; collaborates with administrators and faculty on the matters of student discipline, developmental issues, and identifying significant behaviors such as suicide, self-harm, and depression
- Takes an active role in interpreting the school's objectives to students, parents, and the community at large; confers with parents whenever necessary
- Performs other related work as assigned
The School Guidance Counselor reports to the Guidance Supervisor through the Principal.
LICENSED APPLICANTS MUST UPDATE THEIR APPLICATION TO INDICATE WHICH
POSITION(S) THEY ARE APPLYING FOR. IF YOU HAVE NOT SUBMITTED A NEW RESUME WITHIN A YEAR AND/OR CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE, PLEASE SUBMIT AN UPDATED RESUME.
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Department of Personnel Services
Salary Range: $52,020 - $103,074
197 Day Position, 7.5 hours per day
FROM - TO -
Loudoun County Public Schools - 7 months ago