Position Group Summary
The Gallery Lighting Internship is a wonderful springboard for a student’s development; it’s intended to foster creativity and innovation while providing an environment that teaches the basics of collaboration and team dynamics. The Gallery Lighting Internship is an active and engaged program, meant to be challenging but incredibly rewarding. Successful applicants will demonstrate a passion for exhibition design and lighting with a strong desire to learn about the art and auction business.
Job Profile Summary
Christie’s Lighting and AV department in New York is currently accepting applications for one (1) unpaid Spring intern. The internship exposes students to the process of lighting exhibitions through hands-on experience with luminaire, light sources, and optics. This internship provides an opportunity for junior/senior level lighting and exhibition design students in good academic standing to assist in creating gallery lighting to support the aesthetic interest of the exhibition. The intern’s tasks may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Working with the Lighting and AV Supervisor to develop lighting strategies and techniques to enhance the exhibition and viewing environment.
• Assist in the execution of lighting exhibitions and/or special events as required.
• Research new luminaries and light sources.
• Organize and update equipment specifications for existing lighting inventory.
• Basic administrative duties as assigned
General internship length for this program is 16 weeks. All internships require a commitment of approximately 20 hours per week during the spring semester.
Dates: January 21, 2013-May 10, 2013
International students may apply for a U.S. internship as long as they are degree-seeking, have a letter of acknowledgement from their school, and have the necessary Visa status. Christie’s does not sponsor Visas for student interns. Eligibility will be determined on a case by case basis.
• All interns must be degree-seeking candidates currently enrolled in school.
• The internship must be relevant to the student’s current course of study.
• Interns must provide a letter from the school confirming that they are receiving school credit for the program
• Provide a letter of acknowledgement from the school recognizing the internship if credit is not offered.
• Interns must sign an agreement to complete the full duration of the internship.*
o *Please be mindful of your school schedule and course load before applying.
• Follow rigid timelines around installation and sale schedules. Installation schedules will vary in length and require extensive walking through Christie’s facilities.
• Ability to work at elevated levels of 5 feet or higher using ladders.
• Strong communication and follow-up skills.
• Willingness to help out when needed.
• Demonstrate ability to multi-task and prioritize.
• Problem solving and quick decision making skills are essential.
• Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Christie's - 21 months ago
copy to clipboard
Christie is a global visual technologies company and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ushio, Inc., Japan. Consistently setting the standards...