Operates under the direct supervision of a Garden Services Manager. Performs routine custodial tasks to maintain the cleanliness of indoor and/or outdoor public areas, administrative areas and service areas, assists with snow and leaf removal, drain cleaning, event set up and take down, office moves and other tasks involving manual labor.
Knowledge and Abilities Required:
- Performs tasks to maintain cleanliness of the Garden and buildings including but not limited to sweeping, mopping, emptying trashcans, wiping tables, hosing, vacuuming, dusting, recycling, and picking up litter in and around picnic areas, plazas, paths, parking lots, buildings and all other indoor and/or outdoor locations throughout the Zoo.
- May be assigned to perform simple round around zoo operations tasks and/or seasonal tasks, including but not limited to, leaf removal, snow and ice removal, and drain cleaning.
- May be assigned to assist with refuse collection throughout the Zoo and in/around exterior parking lots and/or perimeter streets. May be assigned to assist pulling and loading trash onto equipment for disposal; cleans dumpsters, trashcans, manure bins, refuse collection sites and dump sites.
- May assist in set-up/break-down of tables, chairs and deployment of signage to support indoor and/or outdoor events. Also maintains cleanliness of event location before, during and after event.
- May be assigned to use industrial strength chemicals to scrub toilets, sinks, floors and walls as needed at all building locations. Routinely maintains active supply of toilet paper, paper towels, soap and trash bags in visitor and/or staff receptacles and dispensers.
- Moves furniture, office equipment, boxes, and/or supplies as assigned.
- Is responsible for properly signing out/in all Garden Department equipment including but not limited to radios, leaf removal tools, snow removal tools, custodial implements and supplies, power tools, etc. as assigned. Is responsible for condition of all equipment assigned. Must return such equipment in like condition as assigned and report any operating difficulties or equipment damage to supervisor immediately.
- Attends work as scheduled and follows appropriate procedures when reporting lateness or absence. Is expected to maintain an excellent attendance record.
- Routinely assists guests. Answers questions and provides information to guests in a manner that is welcoming and encourages repeat visits; handles complaints and resolves problems in a manner that is helpful, polite and accurate. Is consistently helpful to guests and other employees.
Physical and Medical Requirements:
- High school or equivalent preferred. Prior work experience required. General knowledge of house keeping and grounds keeping equipment and products preferred.
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions and communicate effectively with guests, supervisors, co-workers, etc.
- Strong guest relations and service excellence orientation. Ability to maintain composure and service standards under pressure. Patient.
- Ability to work independently with general supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work cooperatively as part of a team.
- Professional appearance and manner; friendly; well groomed.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that may include weekends, evenings and holidays.
- Valid driver’s license preferred.
Able to work a flexible schedule which will include regular weekend and holiday work and some evening work. Able to conduct periodic inspections of round-the-clock security shifts.
- Successful completion of a medical screening and drug test prior to starting work.
- No allergies related to plants or animals that would interfere with the ability to work.
- Ability to bend, stoop, climb stairs and work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Ability to lift and carry 25 pounds a distance of 25 feet.
- May come into contact with pesticides, fertilizers or cleaning agents. Must wear protective equipment including but not limited to gloves, hat, goggles, back brace, etc.