This is a mid-level staff position with responsibilities for plant installation, care, and maintenance within the walled and historic gardens adjacent to Biltmore House. The Gardener II will be working as part of a crew assigned to a specific section/area; crews are charged with design, presentation, and execution of gardening plan within established historic parameters. In addition, staff will assist with special projects and events as required.
This position generally requires working 7:00 am to 3:30 pm. We are seeking experienced gardeners who enjoy being creative, have a thorough knowledge of gardening techniques, IPM principals, are well-versed in plant identification, and will welcome physical outdoor work.
· High school diploma. A two-year college degree and/or additional training, certifications, or industry designations preferred.
· At least two (2) years of related horticultural experience. The ideal candidate will have had prior experience working in a historic garden with responsibilities for plant care/maintenance. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
· Strong knowledge of annuals, perennials, herbaceous plants, and/or roses. Candidates should be able to identify plants and proactively trouble shoot on care.
· Ability to work effectively as part of a team as well as independently with little supervision.
· Demonstrated commitment to providing world class guest service (internal and external).
· Ability to exercise good judgment and be proactive; must be comfortable with and able to take initiative as appropriate.
· Ability to become WPS certified within 10 days of hire and acquire a pesticide license within 1 year of hire.
· Applicants must have a valid driver’s license and be at least 19 years of age.
· Ability to stand/walk for extended periods of time; must be able to kneel, stoop, bend, reach below and overhead.
· Ability to lift up to 50 lbs on a regular basis.
· Must be able to climb ladders, stairs, and scaffolding as needed. M ust be able to work outdoors in all types of weather with fluctuations in temperature and conditions
Biltmore - 16 months ago
The Biltmore Company doesn't need to build more. It oversees the Biltmore Estate, which includes the 250-room home (the largest...