Under immediate supervision, is responsible for performing skilled work in planting, fertilizing and cultivating trees, lawns and shrubs, and performing general grounds maintenance work involving the operation and maintenance of grounds equipment. May exercise technical supervision over assigned staff.
Essential Job Functions:
- Prepares ground for planting and participates in planting, cultivating, fertilizing, watering, and pruning flowers, shrubs, and trees.
- Geminates and propagates flowering plants and waters and cares for plants in open beds.
- Transplants decorative plants, flowers, shrubs, and trees.
- Plants special flower designs and beds.
- Fertilizes and conditions soil for different types of flowers and plants; watches for pest, diseases, or other deteriorating agents; and takes necessary steps for their eradication.
- Applies herbicides and insecticides under the direction of a licensed applicator.
- Mows and edges grass.
- Picks up trash and cleans sidewalks on a daily basis and during special functions.
- Maintains indoor tropical plants and is responsible for their watering, insect control, and fertilizing.
- Services small equipment, by cleaning air filters and changing oil, spark plugs, blades, etc.
- Puts up and removes all Christmas lights and decorations.
- Assists in plant displays.
- Prepares bed for planting flowers and shrubs.
- May deliver and operate equipment for planting and cleaning purposes.
- Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
- Ability to read and write at a level necessary for successful job performance.
- One (1) year of experience planting, fertilizing and cultivating trees, lawns and shrubs, and performing general grounds maintenance work involving the operation and maintenance of grounds equipment.
- This position requires a valid Class “C” Texas Driver’s License or the ability to obtain a valid Class “C” Texas Driver’s License within thirty (30) days after becoming a resident of the State of Texas. Use of your own personal vehicle may at time be required and proof of Liability Insurance will be required.
- Minimum one (1) year: Knowledge of annuals, perennials, trees, and shrubs.
- Minimum one (1) year : Knowledge of basic irrigation systems.
- Associates Degree in Horticulture.
- Physical requirements include frequent lifting/carrying and pushing/pulling of 50 pounds; visual acuity, speech and hearing; hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate gardening tools and equipment. Subject to climbing, balancing, walking, reaching, handling, sitting, standing, bending, and twisting to perform the essential functions. Working conditions are outside with occasional exposure to temperature variations, high noise, insects, dirt, and high elevations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of standard practices, materials, methods, and tools of planting, fertilizing and cultivating trees, lawns and shrubs, and performing general grounds maintenance work.
- Knowledge of tropical plants and their watering and fertilizing needs.
- Knowledge of herbicide and insecticide applications.
- Knowledge of appropriate safety precautions for using gardening equipment.
- Skill in operating and utilizing all types of gardening hand tools.
- Ability to coordinate the work of a small number of helpers.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City staff and the general public.
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
- Ability to perform all the physical requirements of the position.
When you "Remember the Alamo," don't forget San Antonio! The second-largest Texas city (behind Houston), with a population...