Under supervision, to perform skilled gardening; to maintain landscape, including plant life and grounds of County facilities.
This recruitment requires the submission of an online application. No paper applications will be accepted. Applicants must apply online at www.sccjobs.org. Computers are available at the County Government Center, 70 West Hedding Street, 8th Floor, East Wing, San Jose, CA 95110, normal business hours, for applicants to apply online.
All applicants are required to complete the supplemental questionnaire. Applications received without the completion of the supplemental questionnaire will be rejected.
Benefit and Retirement information may vary from bargaining unit to bargaining unit. Due to changes in State Law, current pension provisions described in the union contracts are not automatically applied. Specific pension benefits for new hires who start on or after January 1, 2013 may be different than indicated in the union contracts.
Click here to access all Memoranda of Understanding and most recent Summary of Changes.
- Supervises small crews and participates in the planting, cultivating, fertilizing, watering, spraying, pruning trimming and mowing of plants, shrubs, trees, hedges and lawns;
- Performs the more difficult tasks associated with the selection and care of gardens and landscapes, including, the planting, trimming, spraying and pruning of plants, trees, shrubs, hedges, flower beds, lawns, etc;
- Observes plant growth, diagnoses diseases, and determines effective treatment;
- Determines proper watering, fertilizing, spraying and pruning schedules;
- Selects and mixes sprays and fertilizers;
- Instructs others on the County Integrated Pest Management Policy and procedures, and correct application of sprays and fertilizers and the performance of pruning, trimming and other gardening tasks;
- Inspects and reviews the work of assigned crews;
- Installs small, simple irrigation systems such as drip irrigation systems;
- Performs incidental or small repairs to irrigation systems including, sprinkler head replacement, small cracks in lines and reprogramming of timers;
- Supervises crews in the picking up of trash and the sweeping and cleaning of parking lots, driveways, walkways and other paved areas;
- Confers with and acts as a liaison to County managers and landscaping experts regarding County-wide procedures and practices, to resolve problems and to make recommendations on sustainable landscaping practices;
- May be assigned as a Disaster Service Worker, as required;
- Performs related work as required.
Sufficient education, training and experience to demonstrate the ability to perform the above tasks and attainment of the knowledge and abilities listed below.
Training and Experience Note:
Possession of a high school diploma or equivalent and two (2) years of experience in the planting, care and maintenance of trees, shrubs, flowers, and lawns, utilizing sustainable landscaping practices. Education and/or experience in basic computer usage.
Possession of a California Drivers license prior to appointment and the ability to qualify for and maintain a County Drivers Permit.
Possession of Qualified Applicator Certificate may be required for some positions.
Possession of certification and/or experience in any of the following areas is highly desirable: operation, installation and repair of irrigation equipment, sustainable landscaping, arboriculture, permaculture, xeriscape, organic gardening and/or integrated pest management.
- Growing characteristics, pruning, fertilizing, and common diseases of types of plants commonly utilized around buildings in this area;
- Proper planting, cultivating, pruning and care of trees, shrubs, flowers and lawns;
- Sustainable landscaping best practices;
- Common plant diseases and their treatments;
- Irrigation and timer installation, programming, maintenance and repair; proper seasonal setting of timers and associated systems to encourage water conservation;
- Common safety practices, especially those associated with landscaping and the use of powered and motorized equipment;
- Proper use, care and maintenance of tools and equipment used in gardening, landscaping and related grounds maintenance;
- Basic computer operation, such as email, internet navigation, and document filing/retrieval.
Veterans Preference Information
- Properly trim and prune shrubs and trees and care for landscape;
- Identify plants, the health of plants and determine resources to maintain healthy ecosystems, particularly in the area of sustainable landscaping practices;
- Install, modify, program, maintain, diagnose problems and repair irrigation plumbing and timing systems;
- Read, develop and follow schematics, plans and diagrams associated with irrigation systems and landscaping;
- Set and adjust irrigation timers and flow rates;
- Use mechanical, powered and motorized landscaping equipment;
- Work effectively as part of a team;
- Train and supervise others in proper landscaping and gardening procedures and techniques;
- Ensure safety of workers;
- Perform basic repair and maintenance of gardening equipment and tools;
- Use a computer effectively.
This recruitment has been identified as non-entry level by the Human Resources Director. Any veteran who has submitted a copy of their DD214 form, and received an honorable discharge within the last five years, will be given a preferential credit of five percent (ten percent for those identified as disabled veteran’s), after attaining a passing examination score for a numerically scored examination.
County of Santa Clara - 15 months ago
Redwood City, CA
- 6 days ago
- 16 days ago
Jardinero / Gardener
- 30+ days ago