Our client, a diversified construction and engineering company seeks a General Counsel. The GC will report to the CEO. The ideal candidate will need to be very hands on as they will be the sole attorney in the organization which has 1500+ employees in multiple locations. The position is located in Odessa and the client will provide relocation assistance and temporary housing for the candidate.
The GC will do the following:
- develop and manage a detailed contracting strategy including must have clauses that protect the company for EPC, Construction only and Services type contracts. Review and approve contracts for stated requirements and levels in accordance with procedures.
- Provide direction and training to employees and actual negotiations with clients on legal matters related to company business.
- Provide leadership and strategies on legal issues to Business Groups, Business Development, Human Resources, Facilities and new business ventures for the company.
- Develop and manage a strategic procurement and contracts function to leverage our competitiveness on EPC, Construction and Services businesses. Provide the overall corporation with leveraged pricing and discounts on major expenditures.
- Develop and manage an enterprise risk management program for the corporation that mitigates risk on contracts, projects and company insurances.
- Participate as Senior Leader reporting to CEO in overall strategic and operating activities of day to day operations of company
- Assume ultimate responsibility for ensuring that the company conducts its business in compliance with applicable SEC, federal, and state laws.
- Judge the merits of court cases filed against or on behalf of the company, work with the appropriate executives to define a strategic defense and approve settlements of disputes where warranted
- Selection, management and evaluation of all outside counsel
- Serve as key legal advisor on all major business transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures.
- Law Degree
- Minimum of 15 years of experience managing legal matters in an Engineering and Construction related business
Salary is dependent on experience. Position is located in Odessa Texas.