The General Counsel serves as the chief legal officer of GoWireless, Inc. and is active as a member of the President’s executive management team. The General Counsel represents and/or directs the representation of GoWireless, Inc. in all legal matters; serves as legal advisor to the President/CEO and senior executives; and serves as a resource on legal matters and issues related to contract law, tort law, employment law, real estate law, corporate governance, legal research, consumer protection and compliance.
The General Counsel reports to the Executive Vice President/Chief Administrative Officer and oversees or handles all legal aspects related to the activities of GoWireless, Inc. in its retail and corporate operations, including directing or cooperating with outside counsel on a variety of matters.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
• Provides advice regarding all legal matters involving the company and its affiliates.
• Responsible for providing legal representation, advice, counsel, and opinions in all areas of law affecting GoWireless, Inc. and its affiliates including corporate governance, research, compliance, licensing, intellectual property, technology transfer, privacy law, real estate, all aspects of employment law, important legal documents and agreements, and company policies and procedures.
• Provides legal interaction with issues related to risk management, loss prevention, healthcare, business entities and some international law.
• Brings legal issues and concerns to the attention of senior management and assists in developing related company policies.
• Participates in discussions regarding company strategy
• Attends Board of Director meetings and serves as Attorney to the Board in legal matters.
• Provides counsel and advice concerning compliance with federal and state statutes and regulations affecting the company
• Provides legal representation, advice, and opinions in monitoring and resolving disputes that may lead to litigation.
• Arranges and supervises outside attorneys who provide legal advice or representation in areas of special expertise or in litigation, reviews bills submitted by outside counsel for accuracy.
• Maintains a current knowledge of legal issues important to the company through participation in continuing legal education and membership in appropriate bar and professional associations.
• Assists as needed with company responses to external requests for information, reporting, complaints, or citations from external governmental or non-governmental organizations as well as customers.
• Review and negotiate commercial leases, purchase agreements and various other contracts.
• Review marketing and advertising materials to ensure legal compliance.
• Oversees requests for documents under applicable laws and regulations.
• Performs other duties as assigned by the President or Chief Administrative Officer.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization
• Juris Doctorate Degree from a law school accredited by the American Bar Association
• A member in good standing of the Bar in the state of Nevada
• A minimum of ten years of legal practice experience in a variety of areas, having attained a position of responsibility in a firm, corporation, government agency, or other organization. Five years as general counsel of a medium to large business or equivalent role as outside counsel is preferred. Experience in running an individual practice may be considered in lieu of the preceding qualifications
• Proven ability to exercise sound judgment
• Adaptable to changing conditions and priorities
• Self-reliant in Microsoft Office Suite, legal research software
• Commitment to the highest ethical and professional standards; personal and professional integrity beyond reproach; unquestioned discretion in maintaining confidentiality.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Professional appearance
• Maintains a positive and respectful attitude
• Be accessible at all times
• Must be detail oriented
• Able to handle stressful situations and perform several tasks simultaneously
• Possess organizational skills
• Valid driver’s license required
Go Wireless - 30+ days ago
Founded in 1997, Go Wireless is an authorized Telus dealer of fully integrated wireless communication services with locations in Markham and...