The General Counsel of Abt Associates will report to the company’s Chief Executive Officer. The responsibility of the General Counsel will be to manage the company’s legal efforts globally, which will entail leading corporate legal strategic and tactical legal initiatives for government funded research and implementation work around the world. Abt’s mission is to improve the quality of life and economic well-being of people worldwide by helping our clients — governments, businesses, and private organizations—make better decisions and deliver better products and services by providing them with the highest quality research, technical assistance, and consulting services available in the marketplace. H/She will also provide the CEO, senior management and staff with effective advice on company strategies and their implementation as they relate to government contracting services and management practices. H/She will round out a team including the CFO and CHRO that will oversee compliance and ethics matters for the company.
The General Counsel will retain and effectively work with all outside counsel in connection with litigation and business opportunities in order to assess manage and minimize legal risk in the Company’s operations worldwide. He/she work closely with the government contracts group to facilitate formation and negotiation of contracts and other legal documents. He/she will also work closely with the EVP of global business and the CFO on the sale or acquisition of corporate assets, the acquisition and maintenance of intellectual property rights and other legal matters, related to the business portfolio as needed.
Scope of the position:
- Position has corporate-wide responsibility.
- Issues handled frequently involve high level strategic and tactical matters and high level legal and business complexity as it relates to working under contract to government entities around the world.
- Co-leadership on matters related to the ethical and compliant conduct of the organization and its employees.
- Co-leadership on matters related to the ethical and compliance issues with government contracts.
- Work is reviewed in terms of meeting organizational and financial objectives.
- Substantial communication responsibilities both internally and externally. Contacts are frequent with equivalent level inter-organizational executives, managers and customer representatives.
- Provides legal advice and support concerning legal rights, obligations, and privileges for the Company
- Counsels CEO, senior management and staff on legal issues and provides guidance towards resolution
- Assesses any claims filed against or on behalf of the company, working with the appropriate external law firms and company managers to define a strategy and implement such.
- Structures and manages the company’s internal legal function, including the selection, retention, developing and managing budgets for company’s legal services. Management and evaluation of all outside counsel.
- Conducts research and analysis of specific legal questions and prepares memoranda and opinions setting forth research results, recommendations, and conclusions.
- Provides proactive legal leadership on business practices, management practices and projects and on broader issues of policy and principles, ensuring that applicable laws and regulations, as well as government contracting standards, are fully observed.
- Keeps current on legislative issues, statutes, decisions, and other important legal developments that may affect Company interests.
- Assesses advisability of defending or prosecuting lawsuits.
- Contributes to and participate in tasks of the department as assigned.
- Oversees assignments of staff and ensure work quality and accuracy.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal, organizational and management skills.
- Excellent collaboration and teamwork ability.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing, at all levels of the organization, internally and externally.
- Effective problem solving and decision making skills.
- Highly organized and disciplined thinker, planner, advisor, and implementer with solid business acumen, and superior judgment.
- Proven results-orientation with a track record of gaining credibility and influencing business results.
- Current in their knowledge of the relevant law and familiar with emerging trends in government contracts and international transactional work.
- Knowledge of government standards and requirements relevant to domestic and international law.
All candidates will be screened and, if qualified, contacted by an external recruiter. Candidates may respond directly to Garrison & Sisson at email@example.com .
Abt Associates - 17 months ago