The Open Society Foundations work to build vibrant and tolerant societies whose governments are accountable and open to the participation of all people.
We seek to strengthen the rule of law; respect for human rights, minorities, and a diversity of opinions; democratically elected governments; and a civil society that helps keep government power in check.
We help to shape public policies that assure greater fairness in political, legal, and economic systems and safeguard fundamental rights.
We implement initiatives to advance justice, education, public health, and independent media.
We build alliances across borders and continents on issues such as corruption and freedom of information.
Working in every part of the world, the Open Society Foundations place a high priority on protecting and improving the lives of people in marginalized communities.
The Open Society Foundations are currently seeking a General Counsel.
Purpose of Position
Overall supervision of the Office of the General Counsel. Work is carried out independently.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. OSF may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
- Provide day-to-day management and supervision of personnel, tasks, annual review and provide periodic feedback on performance;
- Overall supervision of all the Office of the General Counsel’s work;
- Manage and administer a legal department and serve as a member of OSF’s Senior Management team;
- Oversee compliance with:
- Tax-exempt organization rules for both private foundations and public charities within the Soros network entities;
- Corporate governance matters;
- The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act;
- Conduct an annual review of the various entities’ financial statements and Form 990’s;
- Handle international matters pertaining to our national and regional foundations, as well as overseas initiatives;
- Serve on the Conflict of Interest Committee;
- Conduct the annual Board Orientation for members of the various National Foundation boards;
- Travel is required;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education / Experience
Advanced degree (J.D/LLM) and a minimum of 15 years relevant experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Managerial experience in non-profit organizations, foundations, and government or academic institutions;
- Demonstrated capacity to manage the work of a team of professionals and to provide leadership to them in thinking about and dealing with the full range of relevant OSF issues.
- Excellent communication skills to effectively understand and empathize with employees in stressful situations;
- Experience in government, think-tank or nonprofit organizations working in the international arena;
- Excellent management, interpersonal, analytical, leadership and organizational skills;
- Demonstrated ability to successfully supervise and resolve complex issues, flexible and results-oriented with a strong sense of urgency;
- Ability to play a key role in the organization’s leadership team and to contribute to high-level decisions about organizational strategy;
- Strong relationship builder and communicator with experience leading diverse work teams, engage community partners and partnering with senior executives and external advisory boards;
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends and incorporate them into the organizational plan;
- Proven ability to work successfully in complex environments and collaboratively as part of a dynamic team;
- Significant experience drafting and reviewing contracts and proposals;
- Strong negotiation skills to interact effectively with multi-cultural to level staff;
- Ability to represent the organization publicly and passionately;
- Ability to work effectively and diplomatically with people of different nationalities and cultures;
- Knowledge of an OSF relevant language is desirable;
- Commitment to the values of an open society and their promotion.
Program Specific Requirements
- Law degree required;
- Experience managing a legal department for an international organization.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package.
Please email resume and cover letter with salary requirements before April 15, 2013, to: firstname.lastname@example.org Include job code in subject line: GC-Legal.
Open Society Foundations - 11 months ago