The General Counsel will address any corporate legal matters that arise on a regular or unique basis. His/her primary responsibility is to ensure that the organization is operating within the law at all times. This individual will provide legal services to internal clients, such as Human Resources, Sales, Finance, and Procurement, among other areas. Services provided to internal clients may include; drafting, reviewing, and negotiating contracts of various types, conducting general research and analysis on legal matters, interpreting labor law and providing counsel, and representing the organization during litigation proceedings.
The General Counsel will be expected to work with individuals at all levels of the organization as well as outside parties, such as governing bodies, other legal counsel, and executives within the company. This individual will possess JD and will have at minimum 1-3 years practicing law.
Provide general legal counsel for the organization
Draft, negotiate, and review contractual agreements:
- Provide hands-on counsel to all levels of executive staff and manages the operations of legal department
- Will build and maintain relationships with external legal counsel and consult on matters outside of personal expertise
- Prepare and review written reports, correspondence, and other legal forms/documents to ensure accuracy
- Manage and maintain insurance and licenses and complete all necessary regulatory filings in a timely manner
- Manage patent filings, maintenance, and renewals
- Research unique legal issues impacting the organization by identifying applicable statutes, judicial decisions, and codes
Represent organization in litigation:
- Review, revise, draft commercial aggreements which can include procurement, professional services, software, equipment, real estate, employment, and other operational contracts
- Will be involved in negotiating contracts for most favorable terms
- Advise executives on contract status, legal risks and business terms of various deals
- Evaluate findings and develop strategies and arguments in preparation for presentation of cases
- Examine legal data to determine advisability of defending or prosecuting lawsuit
- Analyze the probable outcomes of cases, using knowledge of legal precedents
- Represent the organization in any litigation proceedings
Creates and pursues continuous achievement of personal development plan goals.
- A JD and active license to practice law (member of Illinois State Bar)
- 1-3 years of experience practicing law, with focus on negotiating and drafting contractual agreements
- Self-motivated, self-directed and willing to accept responsibility for results
- Shows a good understanding of issues relevant to our overall organization and business and keeps that knowledge current
- Sets high goals and standards for self and others in the organization
- Self-starter; committed to excellence: accuracy in work and attention to detail
- Must have a broad exposure and understanding of legal concepts including but not limited to: workers compensation, contract drafting and negotiation, labor law, immigration, litigation
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with others at all levels of the organization and with outside parties
- Juris Doctorate from accredited program
- Member of Illinois State Bar; active license to practice law
No formal supervisory responsibility.
Will work at Tempel Headquarters in Chicago, IL. Will represent Tempel in litigation and may be required to have offsite meetings or appear in court on behalf of the organization.
Tempel Steel - 9 months ago