Washtenaw Community College is looking for a General Counsel. The General Counsel is responsible for administration of the college’s legal work. This includes: planning and coordination of college wide compliance with applicable law, advising the President and the Board of Trustees regarding legal matters, and response to employment discrimination complaints, EEO , and other governmental agency complaints and inquires, consulting with and directing outside legal counsel. This position may also serve as chief negotiator for the college in contract negotiations. This position reports to the President.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Advises the President and Board of Trustees on legal matters and renders legal opinions as requested.
• Regularly inform the President of matters regarded as highly visible, sensitive or which expose the College to legal risk or liability.
• Consults with Executive Officers regarding legal issues, including contract, student, and labor/employment issues.
• Conducts legal review of college policies and procedures and ensures legal compliance with appropriate laws and statutes.
• Manage formal dispute resolution proceedings either as General Counsel or through selected use of outside counsel with subject matter expertise. Dispute resolution forums may include: arbitrations, mediations, administrative hearings, litigation and other adversarial proceedings.
• Assists with collective bargaining as required. Serves as chief negotiator as requested.
• Provide guidance in interpreting and administering college collective bargaining agreements.
• Responds to any interrogatories or inquires from external agencies such as the Michigan Department of Civil rights or EEOC .
• Coordinates and oversees investigations of sexual harassment and allegations of discrimination in employment and education.
• Consults with College Executive Officers regarding legal issues arising in the course of college business.
• Coordinates the college’s legal services and serves as the College’s primary contact with external general and labor counsel law firms.
• Manage workload and budget.
• Maintain highest level of confidentiality in carrying out all duties.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• JD degree in law.
• Ten years of experience in employment law, labor relations and discrimination law.
• State of Michigan Bar License.
• Proficiency in operation of microcomputers for generation and analyses of reports.
• Strong interpersonal skills in order to serve as a spokesperson for the college during litigation and to effectively communicate with staff, administrators and faculty on a wide variety of sensitive legal matters.
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Include entire education and work history on application. You must attach cover letter, resume, transcripts and State of Michigan Bar license to be considered. Please attach the Bar license under “other documents”.
Minimum starting salary of $90,000
Starting salary is determined based on education and work history listed on application.
Washtenaw Community College - 7 months ago