Come be a part of one of the largest digital information facilities in the world!
Established by Congress in 1861, GPO is transforming itself as an agency and as a business. We provide other agencies with innovative services for the printing, publishing, storage, and distribution of digital content. The public will enjoy permanent access to digital government information, acquiring it quickly, easily, and with confidence in its authenticity. GPO employees are proud of their abilities and passionate about their craft. Whether your expertise is in putting ink on paper, commanding a digital output system, or engineering the delivery of information online, wed like to talk to you.
This position is located in the Engineering Service, Facilities Division.
Selectee will work shift 1 and have a tour of duty of 7:30 am to 4:00 pm
The primary purpose of this position is to serve as a general/structural engineering expert on a small engineering team that provides a full range of engineering and architectural support in accomplishing a variety of projects.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Selectees must pass a drug test prior to appointment.
- Selectees must pass a background check prior to appointment.
- Relocation expenses are not authorized.
- Males born after 12/03/59 must be registered for Selective Service
- This Position has a Positive Education Requirement - See Qualifications
- Prepare designs, specifications and estimates for structural and mechanical engineering projects.
- Provide guidance/coordination for the planning/design of maintenance and construction projects.
- Evaluate design objectives and perform complex technical calculations, often as related to structures.
- Serve in a lead project management role for structural building construction, maintenance and repair projects, and as either a lead or a supporting team member role in a variety of mechanical, civil, production equipment, HVAC and other installations and maintenance activities.
- Coordinate with other engineers and architects in design development to ensure that all technical areas of overlapping responsibilities between technical disciplines receive proper design consideration and that the total project objectives and schedules are met.
- Work closely with GPOs skilled trades and contractors to ensure design feasibility, work adherence to schedule and to quality and Code standards, including NFPA, OSHA, ANSI, EPA (asbestos, PCB, etc materials handling).
- Perform scheduling and layout of structural and mechanical engineering operations.
- Inspect and survey materials, methods and equipment use in construction.
- Prepare detailed cost estimates for use in obtaining project funding and bid evaluation.
- Prepare correspondence, technical reports, fact sheets, status reports, etc.
- Consult with contracting personnel during the bid, award, work phases of engineering and maintenance projects.
To minimally qualify for this position you must meet A or B of the Basic Qualifications Requirements AND meet the Specialized Experience criteria.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS
You must meet the following Basic Qualification Requirements described in either A OR B below:
A: Degree: professional engineering. To be acceptable, the curriculum must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics.
B: Combination of education and experience -- college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying professional engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by one of the following:
- Professional registration -- Current registration as a professional engineer by any State, the District of Columbia, Guam, or Puerto Rico. Absent other means of qualifying under this standard, those applicants who achieved such registration by means other than written test (e.g., State grandfather or eminence provisions) are eligible only for positions that are within or closely related to the specialty field of their registration. For example, an applicant who attains registration through a State Board's eminence provision as a manufacturing engineer typically would be rated eligible only for manufacturing engineering positions.
- Written Test-- Evidence of having successfully passed the Engineer-in-Training (EIT) examination, or the written test required for professional registration, which is administered by the Boards of Engineering Examiners in the various States, the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico.
Applicants who have passed the EIT examination and have completed all the requirements for either (a) a bachelor's degree in engineering technology (BET) from an accredited college of university that included 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences, or (b) a BET from a program accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) may be rated eligible for certain engineering positions at GS-5. Eligibility is limited to positions that are within or closely related to the specialty field of the engineering technology program. Applicants for positions that involve highly technical research, development, or similar functions requiring an advanced level of competence in basic science must meet the basic requirements in paragraph A.
Because of the diversity in kind and quality of BET programs, graduates of other BET programs are required to complete at least 1 year of additional education or highly technical work experience of such nature as to provide reasonable assurance of the possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for professional engineering competence. The adequacy of this background must be demonstrated by passing the EIT examination.
- Specified academic courses -- Successful completion of at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences and in engineering that included the courses specified in the basic requirements. The courses must be fully acceptable toward meeting the requirements of a professional engineering curriculum as described in paragraph A.
- Related curriculum -- Successful completion of a curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree in engineering technology or in an appropriate professional field, e.g., physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, or geology, may be accepted in lieu of a degree in engineering, provided the applicant has had at least 1 year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance. Ordinarily there should be either an established plan of intensive training to develop professional engineering competence, or several years of prior professional engineering-type experience, e.g., in interdisciplinary positions. (The above examples of related curricula are not all-inclusive.)
IMPORTANT: ALL APPLICANTS MUST SUBMINT A COPY OF THEIR TRANSCRIPTS at the time of their application in order to receive any credit for educational criteria.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENT:
Applicants must possess One year (52 weeks) of specialized experience at or equivalent to the PG-11 (GS-11) grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector preparing designs, specifications, and estimates and providing guidance/coordination on complex structural and/or mechanical engineering maintenance and construction projects in a large scale facility or plant environment. PLEASE NOTE: At the time of application, your resume MUST reflect the dates (month/year) of this experience as well as the number of hours worked per week.
TIME-IN-GRADE REQUIREMENTS: Merit Promotion applicants must meet applicable time-in-grade requirements to be considered eligible. For example, o ne year of experience at the PG-11 level (or equivalent) of federal service is required to qualify for the PG-12 level.
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement Friday, February 22, 2013 .
This position has a Positive Education Requirement (See above - Basic Qualifications Requirements).
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
You will be evaluated on your responses to the assessment questionnaire then we will compare it against your resume and supporting documentation. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job.
You will be further evaluated on the following Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA) and/or Competencies required for the position:
We DO NOT require a separate narrative statement responding to the Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs) and/or competencies, however your resume should CLEARLY show possession of these competencies.
- Professional knowledge of engineering concepts, principles, and practices concerned with structural building design including the design and modification of multi-story office and factory buildings.
- Skill in the use of Computer Aided Drawing (CAD) and/or analogous drafting software to produce functional engineering design drawings to produce functional engineering design drawings.
- Ability to communicate structural and mechanical engineering subject matter orally.
- Skill in the use project management techniques in order to manage and lead complex engineering projects.
- Ability to communicate structural and mechanical engineering subject matter in writing.
- Ability to prepare time and costs estimates of structural and mechanical engineering projects.
For Competitive Applicants/All US Citizens - If you meet the qualification requirements listed above, your application will be rated based on your online questionnaire and supporting documents. Your application will be placed in one of three categories : Best Qualified, Well Qualified, or Qualified . Within these categories, applicants eligible for veteran's preference will receive selection priority over non-veterans. If your final rating places you among the top candidates, your application will be referred to the selecting official for further review.
For Merit Promotion Applicants - If you meet the qualification requirements listed above, your application will be rated based on your online questionnaire and supporting documents . If your final rating places you among the top candidates, your application will be referred to the selecting official for further review.
Merit Promotion Eligibility:
This position is open to all U.S. Citizens AND Merit Promotion eligibles (also known as "status candidates"). When answering the "Occupational Specialties" section of the occupational questionnaire, you will be asked to select whether you are applying under "All U.S. Citizens (Competitive)" or "Status Candidates (Merit Promotion)". If you do not meet one of the categories below, you should select "All U.S. Citizens (Competitive)". Please note that Merit Promotion eligibles may also elect to be considered under "All U.S. Citizens (Competitive)".
The Federal government offers a number of exceptional benefits to its employees. We offer a broad array of benefits programs and family friendly flexibilities to meet your needs, as well as your family's needs. These benefits include, but are not limited to: health care, life insurance, flexible spending and dependent care accounts, annual and sick leave, long-term care insurance, retirement savings plans. For more information about these benefits, please visit: http://www.usajobs.gov/EI/benefits.asp#icc .
- Current career or career-conditional employees: http://www.usajobs.gov/EI/transfers.asp#icc
- 30% Disabled Veterans: http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/shav/index.aspx
- Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA): http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/shav/index.aspx
- Veterans' Recruitment Appointment (VRA): http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/shav/index.aspx
- Certain Military Spouses: http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/shams/index.aspx
- Reinstatement: http://www.usajobs.gov/EI/reinstatementeligibility.asp#icc
- Family Member Preference (Derived Preference): http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/familypref/index.aspx
- A severely physically handicapped Schedule A appointment: Please submit a certification from a State or District of Columbia rehabilitation counselor indicating that you can perform the duties of this position and are eligible for an excepted appointment based on a physical or mental disability.
- A former Peace Corps or VISTA Volunteers appointment: Please submit documentation indicating your volunteer service in order to be considered .
Supplementary vacancies may be filled in addition to the number stated in this announcement.
usajobs.gov - 17 months ago
Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide Inc
- 8 hours ago
Marriott International, Inc
Marriott International, Inc
- 21 days ago
- 13 days ago