National Journal Group seeks an entrepreneurial General Manager to build and lead a new service involving the study of Washington influence. This exciting position requires business development acumen and a great deal of comfort presenting to senior executives (both internally and externally).
For more than four decades, National Journal has been the trusted Washington source of information, insight, and analysis on the policy, politics, and people shaping the business of government and the agenda of the nation. With its smart, substantive, nonpartisan viewpoint, National Journal has a standing meeting with the decision-making class, reaching key audiences on Capitol Hill, the White House, and with the influential private sector.
- Architecting a major new research product
- Leading a team of staff in completion of research work—to time, budget, and product quality goals
- Managing research interactions with senior Capitol Hill staff, federal agency staff, trade association executives, corporate executives, and lobbyists
- Distilling data and information into trends, teaching points, and actionable recommendations for an executive audience
- Providing excellent written summaries of key findings and in-depth analysis for use in white papers, case studies, and larger best-practice research initiatives
- Working directly with sales, marketing, and member service staff to collect market feedback, (continuously) refine the product to best meet the needs of clients, and grow the business
- Identifying new opportunities to deliver client value through additional strategic support services
- Developing deep subject matter expertise; serving as the “go-to” internal and external resource
- Presenting findings to--and facilitating discussion with--senior staff of client organizations
- Managing P/L for the product with an eye toward growth
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate:
- 8+ years post-undergraduate or post-graduate experience
- Background in marketing, government, inside-the-Beltway advocacy, and/or strategic research a plus
- Entrepreneurial streak and high-growth business sense
- Team and project management experience; ability to manage time and operations in a fast-paced environment
- Client management experience, preferably within a consulting or research context
- Excellent communication and presentation skills--especially, comfort presenting to senior executive audiences
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills; track record of delivering insightful answers to challenging problems
- Excellent writing skills and comfort creating graphical representations of data
- Prodigious work ethic
- Alumni of the Advisory Board and Corporate Executive Board are strongly encouraged to apply
Atlantic Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer.