The George Mason University, Freedom Aquatic and Fitness Center on the Prince William campus is seeking an experienced and innovative leader to serve as General Manager.
The General Manager will carry out our mission to support the fitness and recreation goals of a health conscious community. The Freedom Aquatic and Fitness Center opened in September 1999 and is one of the largest facilities of its type in northern Virginia. The Freedom Center exists as the result of an innovative joint partnership between George Mason University, Prince William County and the city of Manassas.
The General Manager has the following areas of responsibility:
• Provide positive developmental leadership and effectively work with a multigenerational, diverse staff, and membership. Ability to articulate vision for the future and inspire others both within and outside the organization to work collaboratively towards achieving the center’s vision. Empower department managers to oversee operations, membership and programs. Operate and manage the Freedom Center on a daily basis in a manner consistent with university policy, and in accordance with the tripartite agreement.
Strategic Planning, Membership and Programs:
• Develop and evaluate a strategic plan, short- and long-term planning strategies, goals, and policies related to facility, program, and capital development. Ensure the Freedom Center maintains a wide variety of membership and program choices to meet the needs of a diverse community. Proactively drive, monitor and increase current member and program participant usage and satisfaction.
• Ensure an integrated strategic marketing and communication plan is in place to advance the Freedom Center’s brand identity, and broaden awareness and visibility of its programs and offerings. Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with all stakeholders by actively participating in professional and community organizations.
• Direct the preparation of the annual operating budget. Review monthly reports to ensure adequate controls and efficient use of financial resources in order to maintain a positive net between operating expenses and revenue. Analyze daily reports, participation statistics, payroll, and all financial transactions maintaining accountability. Report fiscal operational performance to the Advisory Board as required.
• Ensure efficient and effective building operations and maintenance schedules to provide the highest level of cleanliness and comfort to the customers and staff. Demonstrate a working knowledge of all mechanical system and procedures, software programs, and other equipment.
Operations and Risk Management:
• Oversee and monitor all operational risk management activities of the organization, and oversee the implementation of the risk solutions that help optimize operations.
• Teach one course per year for the Recreation, Health and Tourism Department; and
• Actively participate in the educational program of George Mason University by working with students, faculty and staff in the delivery of the Freedom Center’s programs and services.
• Master’s degree in athletic administration, exercise, fitness, health promotion, sport and recreation, physical education, business, or a related field is required;
• Extensive professional experience in a leadership-intensive business, and facility management operations to include knowledge of:
o Positive, developmental leadership
o Management and supervision
o Team building
o Decision making
o Strategic planning
o Marketing and communication
o Revenue generation
o Fiscal management
o Risk management
• Evening and weekend hours are occasionally required.
• Teaching experience at the university-level; and
• Experience in:
o Membership-driven organization
o Fitness operations
o Recreation programming
o Aquatic operations
This position is subject to a criminal and financial background investigation.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA867z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
For Full Consideration, Apply by:
January 2, 2013
Mason Ad Statement
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
People choose to work at George Mason University for many reasons, and there are even more reasons why they stay for a career including the excitement of being part of a vibrant academic and professional community, surrounded by people whose ideas are shaping tomorrow’s news!
Mason embodies many things, but underlying it all is a commitment to flexibility, creativity, autonomy, and making a difference. Add that to a robust benefits package, a commitment to flexibility as well as work/life options, the opportunity for personal and professional development and you have a career in balance at Mason!
Enrollment is over 32,000, with students studying in over 198 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William.
George Mason University, Where Innovation Is Tradition!
George Mason University is an equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity.
George Mason University - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard