Remington Hotels, headquartered in Dallas, TX is one of the largest, privately held, multi-brand, hotel management companies in the country.
Remington is a world class leader and operates 60+ hotels (Hilton, Marriott, and Starwood) and growing in the United States with over 13,000 hotel rooms and 5,500 associates.
Our performance strategies, corporate culture and philosophies help us to deliver on our promise to guests, associates, brands and investors. Remington has been consistently recognized among many of the world's best lodging brands for our operational expertise and guest service results.
At Remington, our history of success and unparalleled industry expertise makes us The premier service provider to the hospitality industry™
Purpose of the Position:
Overall profit and loss responsibility for management of the hotel. Working knowledge of hotel disciplines/departments; including food an beverage, rooms operations, sales and marketing, accounting, human resources, an engineering. Responsible for profitability, guest service, product quality, risk management, and overall cleanliness and maintenance of the hotel property. This involves early identification of potential problems, assignment of task(s) to resolve the problem(s), monitoring of the progress and evaluation of the results. The overall quality and profitability of the hotel is the responsibility of each General Manager/Assistant General Manager. Corporate Relationships: Other corporate personnel (including Chief Operating Officer, Divisional Vice President of Operations, Vice President of Human Resources, Vice President of Hotel Accounting and Regional Director of Sales) will interface and assist in the direction of their functional counterparts.
1. Know your work schedule and follow it with a high degree of reliability.
2. Work in a cooperative and friendly manner with fellow associates.
3. Maintain professional attire and personal hygiene.
4. Maintain a clean, neat and orderly work area.
5. Perform your job according to standard operating procedures.
6. Read, understand and follow all policies, procedures and practices as stated in the Associate Handbook.
7. Implement management company and hotel’s safety and emergency policies and procedures (i.e. evacuation, first aid, etc.) to include removing all safety hazards, following company’s OSHA Hazcom program and safe lifting techniques.
8. Utilize protective equipment, when applicable.
9. Promptly report substandard (unsafe) conditions to supervisor.
10. Promptly report accidents, injuries, property damage or loss to supervisor.
11. Keep accurate communication flowing freely among all hotel departments.
12. Inform management promptly of any work-related problems or guest complaints.
13. Practice “aggressive hospitality” and provide guest satisfaction.
14. Promote the hotel through goodwill, courtesy and a positive attitude.
15. Attend all scheduled training classes and meetings.
16. Train other associates as directed by management.
17. Continue to learn and grow in your position.
18. Perform any reasonable request as assigned or directed by management.
19. Provide for a safe work environment by following all safety and security procedures and rules.
20. Arrange for reasonable accommodations for person(s) with disabilities.
21. Assist person(s) with a disability.
22. Comply with all applicable, federal, state and local laws and ordinances as they apply to the hotel guests an associates.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Encourage the Executive Committee to deal in depth with the hotel’s problems and opportunities. Effectively lead the Executive Committee utilizing a participative style – this means effective communications, timely coordination, problem solving and follow-up.
2. Develop a detailed annual operating budget. Assure achievement of annual budget in revenues and profits. The budget is an operating plan and defines required levels of achievement of the General Manager and his staff.
3. Develop a method for weekly forecasting and planning of operating, staffing and cost expenditures in line with forecasted sales and costs. Follow up with department heads to assure compliance.
4. Develop and implement corrective actions for Profit and Loss Statement Critique. Immediate follow-up to assure effectiveness of corrective actions.
5. Develop a high level of esprit de corps and loyalty to the hotel and the company. With each manager, regularly communicate, counsel and assist in problem solving.
6. Develop priorities and key objectives for each department head at least quarterly. Objectives should be in writing with completion dates. Assure complete understanding. Assist department heads in achieving priorities and objectives. Follow up to assure successful implementation. Take as serious action as warranted in the event of failure to meet assigned objectives.
7. Perform timely appraisals and develop plans and actions to correct deficiencies where noted. Follow up timely to ensure standards have been met.
8. Assure that level of experience, knowledge, and ability of all hotel management meet the job requirements.
9. Review cost controls and direct corrective actions to assure adherences at all times.
10. Review all wage and salary increases assuring compliance with approved wage scales and compensation philosophies.
11. Review and approve all expenses in “other expense” categories in all department. Regularly review all departments. Regularly review all major expenses to assure that monies are wisely and frugally expended.
12. Regularly review future booking of room nights and banquet sales. Identify weak periods early and develop corrective actions and follow-up to assure successful implementation of corrective actions.
13. Regularly review pricing and rate structures. This includes cost of increases and competitive pricing in room rates, restaurant, lounge and other areas. Assure recommendations and implementation of price increases on a timely basis as warranted.
14. Through personal leadership and example establish a friendly, courteous, service-oriented approach to guests that is exhibited by all hotel department.
15. Assure that all on-going program is followed in regular repair and upkeep of finishes, operating equipment, and landscaping. Ensure through the Chief Engineer than an on-going preventative maintenance program is defined and implemented on all hotel equipment and hotel building. Personally inspect guest rooms, public areas, back of house and banquet function set-ups. Assure that written lists are developed of corrective actions required for implementation by housekeeping, maintenance and operating departments.
16. Develop annual sales and marketing plan with Director of Sales and Marketing. Regularly review sales solicitation activities and room nights productivity and group rates sold by the sales department. Regularly review individual productivity taking corrective action where substandard performance has been identified. Evaluate market mix and make adjustments as required. Give personal involvement in sales solicitation of key accounts – group meeting and transient business.
17. Review and monitor the success of F&B promotion and programs with the Food & Beverage Director. Monitor sales levels and make adjustments as required to reverse negative trends.
18. Regularly review Front Office results in maximizing rooms revenue. This includes a detailed review of results, identification of problem areas and alternatives to correct the problems.
19. Regularly review implementation of all human policies and ensure that the programs are in place and are administered consistently throughout the hotel by the Human Resource Director. Be personally visible to all hourly personnel. Attend monthly department meetings and safety meetings frequently.
20. Ensure that training is an ongoing function at the hotel to include new associate as well as existing associate training. Ensure that managers attend at least one franchise job related class annually.
Job, Knowledge, Skills and other requirements:
1. Able to communicate accurately and effectively in verbal and written from with guests and associates so as to respond accurately and completely to people to give directions, instructions, information, answer questions and provide service as required.
2. Successful management experience of at least three (3) years in Rooms and/or Food & Beverage department.
3. Ability to make timely/effective decisions.
4. Ability to manage multi-departmental operations.
5. Ability to interact effectively with corporate and executive committee.
6. Proven management abilities in effectively:
a. Planning short and long range goals
c. Total hotel profit and loss analysis
7. Ability to identify trends and needs areas.
8. Ability to display professionalism in handling sensitive or confidential matters.
9. Proven records of commitment and professionalism in meeting the challenges and pressures of a 24-hour, 7-day week operation.
10. Professionalism image as perceived by subordinates, peers, superiors, guests and community.
11. Possess business maturity and be profit-oriented.
12. Posses integrity as proven through sound business ethics.
13. Possess physical stamina and high energy level
14. Have demonstrated community/trade involvement.
15. Effective management style to include:
b. self starter
c. strong leadership skills
d. functions well under pressure
e. effective verbal and written communication skills
f. consistent performer/achiever
Remington is a dynamic, entrepreneurial, independent hotel management company with over 35 years of experience in the hospitality business....