SUMMARY: Primary responsibility is to maintain the relationship between sow farms and AI center as well as provide leadership to AI center personnel. Equally important is the management of large investment of high quality boars Seaboard has purchased to produce premium carcasses at the slaughter plant.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Serve as a liaison between AI Center and Sow Farm
- Lead staff of up to 10-14 people including AI Technician(s).
- Oversee processing of up to 500k+ quality of doses of semen/year.This would include monitoring lab equipment, temperature control of lab, hygiene control of lab, semen quality control.
- Manage semen ordering process, i.e. be responsible for assisting sow farms in understanding the ordering process and timeliness of orders.
- Disperse AI supplies to sow farms.
- Understand cost analysis/dose of semen and help maintain budget for AI Center.
- Manage up to 500 board (feeding/conditioning/health) to optimize semen output.
- Answer questions farm may have about AI and monitor AI and heat detection techniques.
- Serve as backup to any questions AI Service Technician may have pertaining to sow farms.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Directly supervise employees on the Genetic A.I. Farm with assistance from the Genetic AI Production Manager. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include training employees, planning, assigning, directing work and resolving problems.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the work environment, knowledge, skill, and/or ability required or preferred. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s degree in Animal Science (B.S) preferred with working knowledge of AI in swine; or 3 years minimum working extensively with swine AI; or past management of large scale AI center. To successfully perform this job, an individual must have strong interpersonal skills.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read and interpret documents in the English language such as safety files, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization. Bilingual skills preferred.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to apply mathematical concepts to practical situations. Ability to perform necessary calculations for completion of AI center documentation.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Must be able to make decisions on routine matters utilizing company policies and procedures and directions from upper management.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 lbs. The employee must frequently stoop, kneel, bend and walk/or stand on concrete several hours per day. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and fumes or airborne particles. The employee is frequently exposed to waste materials, feed and hog dust.
NORMAL WORK SCHEDULE: The hours and days of work are established by departmental needs and at the discretion of management.
Seaboard Foods is one big pork project, but taxpayers should take heart -- the government has nothing to do with it. A subsidiary of...