Genetic Counseling Position at ARUP Laboratories
Salt Lake City, UT
Opening for a full time genetic counselor with ABGC certification or active candidate status.
The genetic counselors in ARUP are a close-knit team providing cross-coverage for each other to allow for job and personal flexibilit y. If you are a team player and looking for a genetic counseling position offering maximal professional and personal growth, ARUP is your company.
- Join our genetics team of 8 licensed/board certified genetic counselors and 14 board certified geneticists.
- Job responsibilities: provide molecular oncology consultation to clients and referring physicians, develop patient and physician educational materials, write test interpretations, and oversee test information on the company website. Provide cross coverage for other genetic counselors in cytogenetics and molecular genetics.
- ARUP is a growing, nationally-recognized reference lab specializing in esoteric testing, performing over 3000 tests. Fortune magazine has named ARUP one of the 100 Best Companies to Work for. ARUP has won Utah’s Work/Life award for being one of the best companies for employees for nine consecutive years. With its location in research park on the University of Utah campus, c ontinuing education through invited lectures or patient rounds are easily available to genetic counselors.
- Competitive salary and excellent benefit package: Employees and their families receive free health care at our onsite health clinic. Medical testing performed at ARUP is also free to employees and their immediate family. ARUP provides opportunities for health/life/disability insurance at competitive rates. Employees and their spouses also have cost-free access to an onsite gym and personal trainers and an onsite subsidized daycare. The ARUP onsite restaurant serves enticing freshly prepared food selections literally around-the-clock. The company promotes life/work balance and healthy lifestyles. Employees receive a pension as well as having access to 403b plans.
- Salt Lake City is home to the Utah Jazz Basketball, Salt Lake Bees Baseball, Utah Symphony and Ballet and several theatre companies. Opportunities are abundant for outdoor activities including: skiing in the 14 world class downhill ski resorts, snowshoeing, hiking, mountain biking, golf, photography and close proximity to numerous national parks and recreation areas.
This position reports to the Genetics Division Manager for administrative purposes and the Medical Director(s) for communications, technical coordination and medical-clinical information.
a) Provide telephone consultation to clients and health care providers about genetic testing provided by ARUP.
b) Coordinate appropriate use, priority of use, and interpretation of genetic tests and any ancillary testing used for patient management.
c) Provide contact information for resources local to the patient, as requested by health care providers.
d) Participate in data collection, study coordination, or other research activities involving genetic disease.
a) Assist in developing test-specific information for client and patient education and informed consent documents.
b) Assist in developing marketing materials and providing content for the ARUP website.
c) Assist the genetic counseling team in keeping all published genetic testing information current on the ARUP website.
d) Provide education about genetic diseases, testing options, and the role of counselors in a laboratory to clients, health care providers and ARUP employees.
a) Attain and maintain a temporary or full Utah State Genetic Counseling License.
b) Arrange for supervision by a fully licensed genetic counselor and keep a written copy of the agreement on file.
c) Observe principles of data security and patient confidentiality.
d) Maintain ethical standards in the performance of duties with patients, co-workers and other health care professionals.
a) Maintain open and effective communication with personnel throughout ARUP Laboratories.
b) Demonstrate professional demeanor, in personal appearance and behavior, in all work-related interactions inside and outside of the laboratory.
c) Other duties as assigned. Management retains the discretion to add or change the duties of the position at any time.
Physical and other requirements :
- American Board of Genetic Counseling Active Candidate Status or certification
- Temporary or full Utah Genetic Counseling License.
- Master’s degree in genetic counseling
Previous undergraduate coursework in Biology and/or genetics required. Knowledge and being familiar with FileMaker a plus.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to work well with others.
- Ability to work long hours as needed.
- Must be able to sit and/or stand for extensive periods of time
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively in English both written and verbal.
- Fine motor coordination.
- Good visual acuity including color perception.
- Ability to organize work, to meet deadlines and to work under stressful conditions.
- Absolute integrity in the confidentiality of patient information.
- Continual assessment of current literature.
ARUP Laboratories - 7 months ago
The good folks at ARUP Laboratories don't grow pale at the sight of blood. The clinical reference lab performs tens of thousands of tes...