Site Manager & Genetics Service Manager
The Genetic Supervisor is responsible for the daily execution of all on-farm genetic protocols as outlined by The Maschhoffs Genetic Program. The supervisor works along side unit employees to assure the accuracy of data collection and information reporting to the company’s Genetic Service Bureau. This section manager will also be responsible for finding timely answers to questions and communicating to the Genetic Service Bureau.
Job Duties & Accountabilities
Genetic Program Execution
- Achieve genetic improvement goals set for the site.
- Assure individual genetic identity, data integrity and the understanding of the importance of strict, absolute adherence to genetic protocols.
- Execution of all genetic standard operating procedures.
- Utilize current genetic standard operating procedures to develop a system of data collection, data review, and data analysis that provides for a "best in class" genetic evaluation.
- Maintenance of genetic targets set for the unit. Suggest improvements to the operating procedures for the consideration of the genetics team.
- Responsible for individual pig identification including tagging and notching at birth, post weaning tagging and tattooing, and tagging at entry into the sow unit.
- Develop a system based on the site standard operating procedures that is proactive in maintaining identity to combine genetic heritage with pig performance throughout the lifetime of animals in the unit. This identification system will be used to tie genetic information to production and performance data and data collected for mortality, morbidity and genetic abnormalities, etc. for use in genetic analysis.
- Oversee the selection process of replacement animals in the herd.
- Phenotypic evaluation of each animal in the unit at weaning and at final selection into the unit. Oversee weighing, evaluation of feet and leg structure and body conformation, underline scoring, and collection of back fat and loin measurements using ultrasound equipment.
- Oversee quality assurance in single sire matings used to produce purebred replacement animals. Practice strict adherence to the standard operating procedures developed for selection of the correct females to mate, mating them to unrelated sires and recording the data accurately on data forms used by the service bureau. This will require some data inputting.
- Complete other production duties as directed by the site manager.
- Serve as an assistant to the Section Leader.
- Audit processes at the all genetic sites when needed. This requires submission and follow up of corrective action plans on CRM.
- Assist for any R & I work conducted at the farm.
- Auditing of GDU sites when necessary.
- Data and inventory collection from all genetic sites and submission to the Genetic Manager on a monthly basis.
Leadership and Communication
- Work as a team, both as the internal Genetic Supervisor and as a part of the The Maschhoffs genetics team. Communicate needs, and stimulate and challenge team members to help with routine tasks. Hold routine meetings with the Genetic Manager and the Site Manager.
- Respond to objectives outlined by the Genetic Manager and clearly communicate thoughts and ideas that may be relevant to the development of the program.
- Seek feedback from the Genetics Team to assure goals are achieved.
- Challenge procedures when necessary.
- Take the final solution to the site team and execute it with unwavering consistency.
- Communicate and build rapport with all unit employees while operating in a dual role at the site.Utilize the site labor force to achieve both genetic program goals and procedures while supporting the site manager as part of the workforce at the site.
- Work with Genetic Service Bureau by submitting timely, accurate data.
- Fiduciary responsibility
- Place semen orders being sure to match the single sire needs for GGP matings and the pooled needs for GP matings.
- Request equipment, supplies and maintenance from the Genetic Manager as needed.
- Upkeep and maintenance of genetic equipment.
- Minimum 2 year animal science degree or equivalent work experience
- At least 1 year experience in a sow production unit required
Knowledge, Skills and
- Sow production systems
- Maintaining complete and accurate records
- Genetic evaluation system is a plus
- Working with spreadsheets and web based entry of information
- Lead and motivate people
- Record information legibly and accurately
- Organize, plan and execute
- Communicate effectively
- Work both independently and as a member of the production team
The Maschhoffs - 17 months ago