Interest Sub Category:
Job Title :
Type of Position:
New College Graduate
• Bachelor’s degree in geology or other geology-related discipline (e.g., geophysics, hydrogeology, geochemistry, environmental geology, engineering geology)
• General knowledge of geological principles, including physical geology stratigraphy, structural geology, geomorphology, environmental geology and geophysics
• Ability to write and to convey complex thoughts and ideas in a clear, concise manner
• Proficiency in standard office suite software applications
• Awareness of behavior based safety culture and acts accordingly
• Exposure to geologic field data collection methods, including soil/rock logging, soil sampling and geologic drilling methods
• Ability to learn through on-the-job experience
• Must be able to lift and carry 50 pounds
• Must be able to safely drive a full-size pickup truck
• Must have valid US driver’s license
URS seeks a junior geologist to support field sampling and reporting for environmental projects for both Private and Federal sector clients. A successful candidate is able to write and convey thoughts and ideas in a clear, concise manner. We seek a technically proficient individual with the ability to organize data in a clear fashion using basic tools (spreadsheets, graphs) and the desire to learn and apply new tools, models, and methods. Must be able to oversee and work productively with subcontractors while assuring work scopes and safety requirements are met. Must be able to work outdoors year-round. Travel will be required, including out-of-state short-term overnight stays. URS will provide 40-hour OSHA HAZWOPER training.
Primary work responsibilities include:
• Assess and interpret environmental (chemical and non-chemical) data used in the preparation of scientific reports; compiles and organizes environmental data for use by others.
• Plan, execute, analyze and report on environmental measurements in natural systems
• Apply standard field practices and techniques using basic field equipment to collect samples of groundwater, surface water, sediment, and potable water; preparing samples for shipping, and completing chain-of-custody or similar paperwork.
• Perform supervised field tasks, such as soil logging, monitoring well installation, sampling, testing, water level/groundwater gradient surveys, etc.
• Apply knowledge of natural sciences (chemical physics, biology, hydrology, and mathematics) to explain observations.
• Study contaminants and determine how to restore the environment.
• Gathers data and other information to be used in the preparation of scientific reports; compiles and organizes environmental data collected by others.
• Applies standard field practices and techniques in specific situations.
• Prepares basic data and scientific documents.
• Performs supervised field tasks, such as soil logging, monitoring well installation, sampling, testing, water level/groundwater gradient surveys, etc.
• Reviews analytical data for general indicators of quality for routine analyses based on well-defined guidelines.
URS does not accept unsolicited resumes from third party agencies or recruiters. No fee will be paid to third parties who submit unsolicited candidates directly to hiring managers. All resumes must be submitted by the applicant to be considered for a position at URS.
URS Corporation - 17 months ago
URS Corporation provides a range of engineering, construction, maintenance, and technical services for customers around the world. Through...