This individual will participate as a member of the USGS EROS Data Center’s Land Use Land Cover Modeling Team. The primary goal of the project is to project future land use and cover configurations under different driving scenarios. The technical specialist will support the collection and integration of a wide variety data sources, the development of statistically based probability surfaces, and the execution and validation of model runs. Specific duties include:
• Data management, including acquisition, formatting, and processing of geospatial and tabular data sets.
• Geostatistical analysis, including exploration of statistical relationships between land-use change and independent spatial variables, and the use of geostatistical relationships to inform parameterization of models.
• Executing model runs through the application of FORE-SCE software.
• Validation of modeling results through comparison with historical reference data and calculation of model assessment measures
• Assistance in the production of manuscripts or other documents to support project goals
The technical specialist reports to the Technical Services Support Contract (TSSC) Task Manger, and performs activities a member of an integrated project team.
Required knowledge areas include principles of geography, a general understanding of drivers of land cover and land use change, and familiarity with geospatial data. Required skills include proficiency with statistical, geospatial, and office productivity software packages (e.g., R, SAS, ERDAS Imagine, ESRI ArcGIS, Excel). The ability to work effectively as a member of a team, to apply adaptive problem solving, and to communicate findings both orally and in writing are necessary for maximizing project success.
B.S. in Geography or closely related discipline required. Coursework in geospatial techniques (e.g., geostatistics, remote sensing, GIS) highly preferred.
Work experience in mapping and modeling Vegetation and/or Land Use Land Cover is highly desirable.
Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies (SGT), a space systems engineering, science and IT services company, was founded in 1994. Headquartered in...