Global Production Director
Begins February 1, 2014
This is a Boston-based position, with some travel to Kenya, Nigeria, and India.
Bridge is currently a network of 212 academies in Kenya. A Curriculum team of more than 30 directors and writers creates original books, assessments, and classroom materials -- 5+ different subjects in 10 different grade levels from pre-K to 8....so over 50 different full yearlong courses.
The materials are printed 3 times per year, for each trimester. More than 80% of curriculum is in English, but home language curriculum is in Swahili (and will be in Hindi and other languages in future).
Moving forward, Bridge may expand to NIgeria in 2014 and India in 2015, even as enrollment skyrockets in Kenya.
We need printing solutions that work globally. Since our parents are among the poorest in the world, we need to take advantage of the best-priced printers in the world, and also take into account the complex logistics of shipping. Moreover, the printing industry is rapidly changing, and we need someone abreast of every cost-saving technology. Ultimately, we need the lowest price page, so our students can read more.
In addition, Bridge is unusual in that all of our teachers have e-readers with a script for every lesson. So an additional component of our curriculum is the conversion of scripts from documents to electronic format.
The Global Production Director
1. Oversees the Master Printing Schedule. Every printed product -- all specs, deadlines, etc.
2. Manage the production of all of these materials -- layout, illustration, design, proofreading.
3. Manage the printing process and vendors -- in Kenya for 2014, but moving more to India for 2015
4. Oversee digital curriculum conversion, from the screen of a Curriculum Writer to the e-reader which our teachers ultimately use
***The Global Production Director needs:
Experience managing multiple projects simultaneously
Experience managing a supply chain in the developing world
Excitement (rather than annoyance) at the puzzle of driving costs extremely low as a way to keep tuition low for our parents, while balancing minimum necessary quality. For example, someone who'd be thoughtful about volunteer illustrators (e.g. MassArt students), or Creative Commons and other public domain materials.
Experience with large scale production of books/educational materials including paper quality, binding, covers, and other factors that drive longevity of materials used by very young children
Experience proofreading (or contracting with proofreaders) across a variety of disciplines;
***The Global Production Director would benefit from, but these are not necessary
Experience working with and formatting materials for e-readers
Experience in teaching in a classroom and passion for education reform
Experience and familiarity with Kenya (speaks Swahili, to communicate with Kenyan printers)
***Qualities we seek:
- Be a self-starter who thinks three and four steps ahead.
- Be hard working, with the tenacity to plow through challenges
- Be results-oriented, driven by the data that will allow us to know what is working and what isn’t working for kids.
***The Global Production Director will be based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, where we operate a small office with about 20 staff. Also, the Director will need to do some travel to Kenya and future Bridge expansion sites. To apply, visit the Jobvite site here:
- Be humble, seeking out feedback, internalizing it, and using it to get better.
Bridge International Academies - 11 months ago
copy to clipboard