The purpose of this job is to implement government relations strategies relating to issues of interest to the Food Bank, particularly regarding support for city, state and federal emergency food programs; access to benefits, including government nutrition and income support programs; nutrition education; and access to affordable, nutritious food in all New York City communities. The Government Relations Manager will serve as the primary writer of policy-related materials for various audiences, and will collaborate with staff to engage the larger hunger and poverty communities, as well as legislators and government offices to promote solutions to hunger. Working within a fast-paced environment, this position requires a self-motivated individual with a solid understanding of and interest in hunger and poverty issues, and with experience in policy analysis and working and communicating with a variety of audiences.
- Monitor, identify and analyze legislative & policy issues and trends that impact the work of the Food Bank.
- Develop materials for elected officials and candidates on legislative, policy and budget priorities.
- Collaborate with relevant staff to engage the Food Bank’s network of emergency food programs, CBOs and schools in policy-related work, including forums and advocacy projects.
- Provide input on the development of legislative positions and advocacy strategies.
- Collaborate with external organizations and public offices and participate in committees and planning groups as required.
- Responsible for public presentations and dissemination of information regarding food poverty to inform city, state and national policy efforts.
- Review website and other communications materials to ensure accurate reporting of policy-related information, and implement measures to maintain historical continuity/institutional memory.
- Work with Research & Evaluation staff to conduct ongoing evaluation of impact and success of outreach and organizing efforts;
- Meet relevant performance metrics and benchmarks;
- Supervise any assigned staff; and
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Masters Degree in a relevant field preferred; BA/BS required;
- Three to five years progressively responsible work experience in social services, government relations or public policy-related work, preferably in the areas of hunger or poverty;
- Excellent oral and written advocacy, public speaking, and analytical skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including public speaking, the ability to convey complex information in a clear, culturally competent and understandable manner;
- Experience analyzing complex policy problems;
- A demonstrated capacity to work with policy makers and community organizations, and the ability to think strategically and work with external colleagues.
- Strong organizational skills with an ability to balance competing priorities, work collaboratively with colleagues and a demonstrated aptitude for project management;
- Proficiency in all MS office applications (including Excel and Access). Experience with Raisers Edge a plus.
- 2 years ago - save job