We are seeking a bright, ambitious, self motivated individual to join our Commodities Trainee Program in the Front Office Development team. Successful candidates will join a 12-24 months training program in our cross-platform/cross-commodity business. The program focuses on building critical skills, knowledge in operations, finance, risk management and research, followed by increasingly more complex trading concepts. Our Commodities Trainee Program is an exciting opportunity to train, learn and work in a dynamic, multinational company with diverse and rising global businesses, and operations in over 40 countries on 5 continents.
This role will work within the trading environment developing and supporting web-based applications for the physical energy commodities trading business. The business trades physical US and European Power, Gas and Oil products and options, Metals and Agriculture.
This role is for an IT graduate with solid IT development skills who will design and build new tools for a range of front, middle and back office tasks; for example pre-trade decision support (analytics), trader’s position management and P&L reporting.
You will gather the requirements directly from the end users on the trading desk and in doing so will gain insight into the business and trading processes. You will own and be responsible for delivery of your own solutions to the business and are therefore expected to work independently and to a high standard.
This is an excellent opportunity for a keen and enthusiastic developer interested in learning about the physical commodities business and physically backed options.
In order of importance:
Java or C#
SQL (on MS-SQLServer, Oracle and/or MySQL)
- Strong drive to learn the business and the technologies to enable it.
- Questions conventional wisdom and practices, seeks to understand the “why” things are the way they are and how to improve them.
- Ability to grasp new, complex business & technical issues in a short time frame.
- Ensures complete understanding before taking action.
- Ability to work gracefully under pressure.
- Ability to understand and communicate both oral and written, complex technical and business issues with vendor and teammates.
- Ability to communicate complex issues to the laity.
- Ability to establish open trusting relationships with peers and influence others to ensure a good working community.
- Ability to work in self-motivated, self-directed fashion.
- Ability to master various levels of detail and meet deliverables with little direction or structure.
- Ability to work within a changing business model