The Grant Accounting Manager is responsible for managing and preparing financial grant budgets, related reports, and analyses including reviewing accounts, invoices, time charges, and other expenses associated with each grant. The Grant Accounting Manager ensures the American Progress and funder policies and procedures are being followed. He or she will work closely with other members of the financial, development, and program teams. This position will handle the general accounting related specifically to grants and contracts while ensuring compliance with organization and grantor stipulations and reconciling restricted expenditures. Additionally, this individual will prepare internal and external financial and accounting reports for management and alert management of potential shortfalls or other fiscal issues. The position requires independent judgment, initiative, and extensive knowledge of the organization and its policies, as well as the policies and procedures of funding organizations.
Requirements and skills
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
- Prepare grant-related project budgets, fully documenting expense assumptions to align with project needs.
- Reconcile grant expenditures with general ledger activity to ensure appropriate allocation with grant funds.
- Track indirect costs associated with grants as defined under separate grant agreements.
- Prepare financial reports and maintain financial records.
- Prepare financial reports for external funders.
- Manage the close‐out process for grant funds and ensure proper compliance.
- Analyze grant expenditures for adequate documentation and compliance with all applicable state and federal requirements.
- Recommend adjustments and prepare journal entries to reconcile grant expenditure balances as needed.
- Assist with the audits by preparing grant materials for annual administrative and financial audits.
- Provide guidance and education to project managers and project staff on allowable expenditures and work with each individual to ensure that grant funds are expended in compliance with governmental regulations and grant agreement terms.
- Assist the SVP/CFO and controller with the development and implementation of financial policies and procedures for grants and contracts, including allocations of costs, preparation of reports, and closeout of projects to ensure compliance with all applicable grant-agreement guidelines.
- Work closely with the development office and program managers to coordinate budget and reporting priorities, understand project needs, and develop appropriate and accurate budgets, reports, and analyses.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including an ability to communicate effectively with the finance, development, and program teams.
- High attention to detail and accuracy, as well as observant of need to document assumptions and conclusions to maintain an audit trail.
- Thorough knowledge of grant-accounting policies, practices, and systems.
- Significant experience with Excel required; experience with Solomon and Management Reporter preferred; experience with Salesforce a plus.
- Ability to operate across multiple project grants concurrently.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org .
For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaaction.org .
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: email@example.com .
Or you may write to:
Center for American Progress
1333 H Street, NW, 10th Floor
Washington, DC 20005
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please .
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.