Department: Rochester Public Library
Union: AFSCME - Local 319
The Rochester Public Library (MN) seeks a creative and innovative graphic designer who loves libraries. The successful candidate will be an extremely organized and flexible self-starter who is passionate about customer service and who possesses advanced technology and communication skills.
Responsibilities of the position include designing eye-catching print materials, logos and signage; providing exceptional customer service on the public service desk; distributing publicity and other information to local media outlets; and providing patient and well-organized technology training for division staff.
RPL, a division of the City of Rochester, MN, is a very busy downtown library and bookmobile (approximately 600,000 visits per year, over 1.6 million items checked out and the busiest bookmobile in the state of Minnesota). RPL serves the City of Rochester, Olmsted County, and visitors from all over the world.
We strengthen community and enrich lives by sparking imagination, creativity, engagement, and learning.
Nature of Work:
Under the direction of the Communications Manager, the Library Associate I/Communications Services performs graphic design, coordinates publicity, provides administrative clerical support, and assists the public in effectively utilizing library services. Using computer software design programs, the Library Associate I/Communications Services produces internal and external communication, publicity, and promotional materials for the library. The Library Associate I/Communications Services performs work of a creative, complex, technical, and confidential nature with minimal direct supervision; requiring the ability to handle multiple assignments and to develop and maintain effective working relationships with library staff, external vendors/media, and the general public.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Utilizes computer software design programs to create materials for internal and external distribution. Materials may include, but are not limited to, posters, brochures, bookmarks, newsletters, logos, calendars, signs, event programs, invitations, and advertisements.
- Creates library communication and promotional materials.
2. Completes special projects for other library divisions as assigned, including the recreation of damaged book covers/pages and the creation of library material labeling/packaging mechanisms.
3. Establishes and maintains positive working relationships with professional printing and supply vendors to produce professional materials when needed.
1. Performs photography utilizing digital equipment and software to produce and maintain photo files. Coordinates photo shoots as necessary.
- Utilizes technology in the design and production of communication and promotional materials.
2. Utilizes copiers, scanners, laminators, and printers as needed in the production and distribution of design materials.
3. Digitally records staff meetings and ensures recorded meetings are accessible for staff viewing.
4. Serves as the division personal computer trainer; provides computer/technology assistance to staff as needed.
1. Works with staff to plan publicity pieces and create strategies for promoting programs and services.
- Generates and coordinates publicity for library programs and services.
2. Prepares and distributes regular press releases to media outlets and community organizations.
1. Provides back-up clerical support for library administration.
- Performs administrative/clerical support and customer service functions.
2. Performs public service desk duties on a regular basis.
3. Participates in library committees as assigned.
Perform other duties as assigned or necessary.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent with one (1) year post-secondary education in graphic design or related area and one (1) year of relevant work experience
Bachelor's degree in marketing, journalism, communications, public relations, graphics design, art or related field with two or more years of technical training in graphic design.
Two (2) or more years of practical work experience in a related position.
At least one (1) year of work experience in a library setting, in a customer service position, and/or in a clerical/administrative support position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of: Software applications such as Adobe Creative Suite 5, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Microsoft Office Suite; Library operation and policies; Office equipment operation; Digital photography and videography equipment.
Skill in: Organization, multi-tasking, and time-management; Developing and maintaining effective working relationships with internal and external customers; Presenting information in an innovative and understandable manner.
Ability to: Provide excellent customer service to people of all ages; Work pleasantly and effectively with diverse co-workers and library patrons; Explain Library policies, procedures and options to patrons; Effectively and accurately communicate both orally and in writing.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CRITERIA
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the following represents the physical and environmental demands for this position. The employee must be able to perform the essential functions with or without accommodation.
This position often requires standing and walking.
Lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling objects up to twenty-five (25) pounds may sometimes be required.
Climbing of objects such as stairs or stools is sometimes required.
This position is often required to perform awkward movements such as bending, stooping, kneeling, or reaching. Simultaneous and repetitive use of the hands, wrists, and fingers is often required.
Audio, visual, and verbal functions are essential to performing this position.
The majority of the workday is spent indoors.
LIBRARY ASSOCIATE I
COMMUNICATIONS SERVICES DIVISION
City of Rochester, MN - 18 months ago