Under the direction of the Grounds Manager this incumbent plans, prioritizes and implements grounds maintenance operations; recognize, protect, monitor and enhances the park's natural resources and physical improvements; analyze situations and solve problems; inspect park facilities; inspect playground equipment; prepares athletic fields for play, perform physical labor relating to projects and maintenance functions, perform all function of support staff; respond and act upon emergency situations.
Examples of Duties:
• Plan and direct daily activities of assigned staff, contracted staff and/or seasonal staff.
• Seek opportunities to increase effectiveness and efficiencies of staff and resources.
• Perform turf maintenance: lawn care, field maintenance,
• Perform snow removal.
• Perform playground inspections.
• Perform court inspections.
• Perform inspections of facilities and grounds to ensure proper maintenance of assets.
• Maintain the cleanliness of grounds: empty trash cans; pick up litter, clean rest rooms and shelters; and inspect park to help ensure safe and proper conduct of patrons.
• Prepares daily work schedule and assigns work to staff.
• Trains park work crews to ensure park activities are being carried out as planned.
• Monitors grounds maintenance activities on non park property, such as boulevards, triangles, right of ways and the grounds around City buildings.
• Assigns crews to maintain and prepare fields for ball games.
• Installs, inspects, repairs and mulches playground area.
• Performs minor repairs to park pavilions and other buildings on parkland.
• Orders inventory supplies.
• Maintains necessary records and prepares periodic activity reports.
• Responds to requests and complaints from the public, and requests for services from other departments.
• Maintains regular punctual and predictable attendance, works overtime and extra hours as required.
• Schedules and monitors work requests issued by the recreation division.
• Assists the Grounds Manager in planning and purchasing requirements for equipment, tools and other supplies.
• Coordinates set-ups for special events as they relate to Parks, Recreation and Facilities Management Department.
• Attends departmental meetings.
An Associate Degree in natural resources, horticulture, park management or related field, three to five years horticulture/park maintenance experience, or equivalent combination of education, experience and training which provides the following knowledge, abilities and skills:
• Knowledge of parks operations, facilities, and procedures.
• Knowledge of horticulture and grounds maintenance, particularly with regard to turf.
• Knowledge of pesticide application.
• Knowledge of City safety procedures and policies.
• Ability to operate, and train staff in the safe operation of small machinery and equipment.
• Ability to monitor work of staff at a variety of locations.
• Ability to plan and prioritize work within the constraints of changing weather conditions.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, with personnel inside and outside the organization.
• Ability to maintain records and compile data for activity reports.
• Ability to work in a safe manner.
• Ability to obtain a Commercial pesticide applicator's license.
• Ability to obtain a Certified Playground Inspector license.
• Possess and maintain a valid Wisconsin Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL), with the N endorsement.
City of Appleton, WI - 10 months ago
Air Wisconsin Airlines Corporation
Air Wisconsin Airlines Corporation
- 6 days ago