NOTICE: This position requires: Working in dirty environments and/or extreme temperatures, strenuous physical labor, working in proximity of hazardous materials while maintaining safe working practices and standards. Employee could also be required to lift heavy objects, and operate heavy equipment. The standard work schedule for this position will be Wednesday through Sunday.
* Employees of the Landscaping/Grounds department are considered essential staff and must report to work when the university is closed for emergencies. This position is required to participate in on-call and call back duties, which can include days, nights and weekends.
* Travel between campus locations is a regular part of the position. Arizona Administrative Code Fleet Safety Policy requires all employees who drive, on university business to pass an online defensive driving course and submit their driver¿s license number for periodic records review. The law affects all faculty, staff and students who drive any university-owned motorized vehicles.
For more information, please see the NAU Transportation Authorized Driver Policy https://www4.nau.edu/cas/TSC/Vehicle_Authorization_docs/Authorized_Driver_Policy.doc
* Monitors the activities of subordinates.
* Assists in supervising the grounds maintenance/construction operation.
* Implements and designs detailed plans for maintaining university grounds including recommendations for new planting, replanting and reorganizing existing plantings of lawn areas, shrubbery, shade and ornamental trees, flower beds and all aspects of grounds construction.
* Plans and coordinates sectional operations and needs with appropriate personnel and other agencies.
* Maintains up-to-date information on developments in soils, plants, insect control, herbicide and other matters affecting grounds maintenance.
* Inspects plants, trees and shrubs for insect pests or disease and takes necessary for eradication.
* Inspects work of others and initiates corrective measures to meet established standards.
* Maintains records and files and submits as required.
* Assists in the preparation of budgets and in the control of activities required to keep the department operating within limits or approved budgets.
* Instructs personnel in following appropriate safety standards and procedures.
* May develop snow removal plans and supervise the snow removal program.
* Responsible for supervising weekend Departmental operations in support of University programs.
* Hiring student workers and ensuring staffing to appropriate assigned hours per pay period.
* Maintain all required records for TMA Work Order system including work orders & daily logs.
* Ensure all assigned personnel comply with record keeping policies & procedures.
* Assist in maintaining payroll records for assigned FTE Personnel.
* Maintain payroll records for student workers.
* Schedule assignments for student employees.
* Monitor work & provide appropriate training to insure of professional standards & proper horticultural practices are used in the maintenance of campus grounds.
* Assist in the supervision of work monitoring, training, insurance of professional standards and proper horticultural practices for following areas: Athletic field maintenance, annual & perennial color program flower beds, turf maintenance, tree and shrub trimming/maintenance, general grounds up-keep including detailing of buildings & landscape areas, landscape installation, planting & transplanting of trees, shrubs, perennial flowers, grasses and the hand watering program.
* Assist in pesticide program, ensuring Chemical Applicators maintain required training & licensing. Systematic scheduling to comply & not interfere with the University calendar & scheduled event. Systematic scheduling in accordance with & in cooperation with Affirmative Action & Disability Services (to ensure ADA compliance).
* Interfacing with various campus sustainability groups & other interested organizations & academic interests as needed.
* Interfacing with the various campus garden programs including the SSLUG, Shand, & SNAIL gardens.
* Interface with Affirmative Action, Disability Services, & any other appropriate entities on matters pertaining to ADA access compliance.
* Ensuring campus appearance is appropriate before, during & after University events including Commencements, Homecoming, Family weekend, Opening Week, new student Recruitment, new student Orientations, Campus Open Houses, Concerts, various camps & community events, & any other events or activities as scheduled.
* On-call Supervision for Snow Removal.
* Providing 7day/week supervision as necessary for snow removal, campus emergencies, events, &/or other needs.
* Inspection of landscape projects both in-house & by outside entities to ensure the design & installation meets NAU Standards as well as Master Plan goals & Administrative vision.
* Working in dirty environments and/or extreme temperatures.
* This position requires strenuous physical labor.
* Will be required to work with other departments on projects.
* May be required to work in proximity of hazardous materials and is expected to work safely.
* Employees could also be required to lift heavy objects, attach trailers to hitches, change hydraulic equipment, and attach implements for tractors and bobcats.
* Operate power equipment such as push mowers, weed eaters, chainsaws, backpack blowers, rototillers, compactors, power hedges, electric and air powered 60lb and 90lb jackhammers.
* Operate riding mowers, tractors, bobcats, lawn sweepers, hustlers (mower/plow).
* Operate snow removal equipment with both steering wheel and/or lever controls and automatic or manual transmissions such as dump truck snow plows, pickup plows, cinder trucks, loaders, backhoes, bobcats.
* Operate manual tools such as shovels, picks, rakes, hoes, push brooms, pruning saws, pole saws, loppers, hedge shears, concrete tools, screw drivers, wrenches, pliers, water keys, hacksaws, sledge hammers, and mops.
* Other duties as required.
* Six years of grounds maintenance work experience which includes two years of supervisor experience; OR,
* Associate's degree in Horticulture or related field AND four years of grounds maintenance experience which includes one year of supervisory experience; OR,
* Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
* Eight years grounds maintenance work experience which includes four years supervisory experience. OR
* Associates degree Horticulture or related field six years grounds experience and three years supervisory experience. OR any equivalent combination of experience, training and education.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified family members. More information on benefits at NAU is available at www.nau.edu/hr. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan) after 90 days of employment. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after your start date. More information is available at: http://hr.nau.edu/benefits/elig_enroll
February 21, 2013 at midnight.
Northern Arizona University - 22 months ago