Maintains the grounds surrounding County buildings, including mowing, planting, and equipment care. Cleans parking lots, garages, driveways and sidewalks.
This is the first in a series of two groundskeeper-related job classifications within the General/Road Maintenance job family. This classification is distinguished from the Groundskeeper Lead, which has lead duties and responsibilities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs general maintenance of grounds, including mowing lawns, trimming trees, pruning shrubs, edging walks and gathering litter.
- Plants, trees and shrubs. Prunes shrubs and trees to shape and improve growth or remove damaged branches, twigs or leaves.
- Waters lawns, shrubs, flowers, and trees. Applies fertilizer.
- Services and makes minor repairs on lawnmowers, tractors and other equipment. Cleans outdoor equipment.
- Removes litter and debris from parking areas. Removes weeds from cracks and around signage, as required.
- Operates trucks, tractors, chippers, edgers, saws, blowers, mowers and other equipment.
- Moves office furniture and other items as assigned.
- Assists in planning duties and objectives for each workday.
- Assists custodial maintenance staff, as required.
- May train workers in the use and maintenance of equipment.
- May maintain first-aid equipment.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
One (1) year of experience performing groundskeeping or manual labor;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
Valid Texas Driver's License.
Using lawnmowers and trimming equipment experience.
Two (2) available positions
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Policies, practices, procedures and methods of lawn and grounds care.
- Applicable safety practices and regulations.
- Equipment and tools of grounds maintenance.
- Fertilizers, insecticides and herbicides used in grounds maintenance.
- Operating grounds maintenance equipment.
- Using fertilizers, insecticides and herbicides to properly maintain and enhance grounds.
- Both verbal and written communication.
- Understand and follow instructions and communicate effectively, as required.
- Safely and correctly operate grounds maintenance equipment.
- Work independently and efficiently.
- Manage time well and meet timelines.
- Communicate effectively.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with County employees and officials, representatives of outside agencies, and the general public.
Work Environment & Other Information:
Physical requirements include the ability to lift up to 75 pounds/carry up to 50 pounds, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity. Subject to standing, walking, sitting, repetitive motion, reaching, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pushing, pulling, balancing, client/customer contact, squatting to perform the essential functions. Subject to contact with hazardous waste, foul odors, animal and human fecal matter, insects and rodents, and exposure to outside elements. Subject to extreme temperatures, outside elements, noise, vibration, and contact with dust, fumes and hazardous chemicals.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Hours: 6:00 AM to 3:30 PM Monday through Friday
Full-Time Seasonal position until September 30, 2013
Location: 1100 Smith Road, Austin
Department: Facilities Management
Criminal & Driving Background Check Required
Travis County - 17 months ago